Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Win95 on Linux
razing32 Feb 7, 2020
So i was looking at Appimages and cool stuff you can do with them
And one mentioned running Windows 95
I was curios if this worked and i could get old games to run on it (probably would work on wine but the experience would be interesting)
I do see deb and rpm packates but nothing for Arch.
Before i build from source andyone have any experience unpacking deb/rpm for Arch ?

Project link
https://github.com/felixrieseberg/windows95/releases/tag/v2.2.1
WorMzy Feb 7, 2020
bsdtar will unpack either (note deb packages contain tarballs, so you'll need to extract both the .deb, and then the data.tar.gz from inside it).

Alternatively you could give https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/debtap/ a try.
tuubi Feb 8, 2020
Quoting: WikipediaDebian packages are standard Unix ar archives that include two tar archives. One archive holds the control information and another contains the installable data.
In my experience, pretty much any archive manager GUI on Linux can open them by default.

As for rpm, it's a binary format, but you can extract the actual file data in an xz or gzip compressed cpio archive with rpm2cpio. And of course there's also alien, which you can use to convert them into debs or (slackware) tgz files.

Last edited by tuubi on 8 February 2020 at 9:36 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.