Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Open Box deal on a Zowie EC1A - Worth it?
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Hamish Feb 14, 2020
So my fairly cheap Logitech M100 I picked up a few years ago has been having intermittent issues with false right and double clicks and I am considering getting a replacement mouse. I have already gone to the trouble of taking the mouse apart and cleaning all of the components, which did seem to help for a while, but the problem just keeps coming back.

I looked into what kind of gaming mice work well with Linux, and have heard almost nothing but good things about driverless Zowie mice, especially for playing FPS games like Quake. Paying close to $100 CAD on a mouse is more than I can justify at the moment, but I have ran across an Open Box deal for a Zowie EC1-A selling for only $50.40 CAD as opposed to $79.99 CAD when sold new.

Mouse is here:
https://www.newegg.ca/zowie-gear-ec1-a-ergonomic-gaming-mouse-for-esports-usb-wired/p/173-00AC-00005R?Item=173-00AC-00005R

So for anyone who has these kinds of mice, do you find it worth it? Does anyone here have any prior experience with Open Box deals? Given that the mouse is just one contained item I can not see any missing peripherals or documentation being too much of a problem as long as the mouse is indeed working.

Considering I paid $20 for the Logitech, the extra $30 for the Zowie does not seem too bad.

Last edited by Hamish on 15 February 2020 at 7:03 pm UTC
Finn Feb 15, 2020
I haven't tried that shape (I have the FK1/2; S2 and EC2-B are on my list), but I'd be wary of a used Zowie. They can get pretty abused. Depends on retailer I guess.

I'm LOVING my Endgame Gear XM1 though. Blows the Zowies I have out of the water, for me at least. The matte finishes on the Zowies especially seem to get very slippery in my dryish hands. Buttons built into the shell are meh IMO.
Hamish Feb 15, 2020
I should say that Open Box deals are for returned items, so I doubt it was in use that long.

Having no drivers or firmware also really appeals to me.

Last edited by Hamish on 15 February 2020 at 5:43 am UTC
Hamish Feb 15, 2020
In the end I just opted to pay $18.14 CAD for a new Adesso HC-3003US mouse like I had ten years ago. I rather liked that one until it also developed clicking issues after about five or six years of use, which was still longer than I have had the Logitech.

Mouse is here:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0038KND7G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I figure if I am going to try a proper gaming mouse I might as well wait until I can buy it new and also have a proper mechanical keyboard to go along with it. I have my eyes on a Das Keyboard Model S with MX Brown switches which I may very well pair with a Zowie if I ever get my hands on it.

Last edited by Hamish on 15 February 2020 at 6:53 pm UTC
Hamish Feb 21, 2020
Looks like someone took the plunge since they are now out of stock with the Zowie so good luck to them. I am a little annoyed that my mouse has not even been shipped yet though. :><:

Last edited by Hamish on 21 February 2020 at 12:02 am UTC
Hamish Feb 23, 2020
Mouse still has not shipped yet, but I finally settled on my new headset at least:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/PrimeCables-Premium-Headphones-Hi-Fi-DJ-Style-Over-the-Ear-Birthday-Gifts/323353591514

I am sick of having them die due to bad cables, so having them be detachable sounds good to me.
whizse Feb 23, 2020
Quoting: HamishSo my fairly cheap Logitech M100 I picked up a few years ago has been having intermittent issues with false right and double clicks and I am considering getting a replacement mouse. I have already gone to the trouble of taking the mouse apart and cleaning all of the components, which did seem to help for a while, but the problem just keeps coming back.

The microswitches are probably worn out. Replacements are cheap and not hard to replace if you, or a friend, is just a little bit handy with a soldering iron.
Hamish Feb 24, 2020
Quoting: whizseThe microswitches are probably worn out. Replacements are cheap and not hard to replace if you, or a friend, is just a little bit handy with a soldering iron.
Yeah, having seen the circuit board I am sure it would be a fairly simple fix, but then I have never been that fond of the Logitech anyway.

My Adesso also finally shipped this morning. So for what I would have had to pay for the Zowie I have got myself a mouse and a new headest instead.
razing32 Feb 25, 2020
I'm kinda embarrased about myself when i see how much care you give to your components.
When my gaming mouse started mis-clicking i sort of just threw it in a corner and got a new one.
Now i find out you can replace the switches i feel like a complete idiot ....
Hamish Mar 5, 2020
My headphones arrived yesterday and I am quite happy with them. The audio quality is really good for the price and unlike a lot of people I am not finding the default ear pads to be uncomfortable.

If I want to use it as a headset I would need to buy a new cable with an adapter to split off the speaker and microphone jacks such as this:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01HB9H4LK/?coliid=IF0XBQ1LMVH5U&colid=298GH785Q62W&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I hardly ever used the microphone on the Roccat Kulo I am replacing though so I am fine for now.

Last edited by Hamish on 6 March 2020 at 12:14 am UTC
PublicNuisance Mar 14, 2020
I just bought an open box Zowie FK2. The discount was only 10% and it was fine. The main difference may be this was in a brick and mortar store so Iw as able to open it up and look at it first to inspect it.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.