You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
New theming live now - report issues here
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
pete910 Apr 19, 2020
Can we have the option of the old style forum back please?

Hate this reddit category type BS :(
Liam Dawe Apr 19, 2020
Quoting: pete910Can we have the option of the old style forum back please?

Just for you, added it back. On the forum, there's now two button at the top to switch between them. Enjoy.

Edit: Also finally made the category view more responsive to the screen size, hiding some bits to make it better :)

Last edited by Liam Dawe on 19 April 2020 at 11:52 am UTC
Ehvis Apr 19, 2020
Wanted to add a few comments on the new theming now that I have looked at it for a couple of weeks.

The vertical centre alignment of the images on the front page looks really messy to me. Since the right part is top aligned, the image is never in the same place. Doesn't look good to me. Never had any problems with the top alignment.

Ever more of an issue for me is the share buttons with the articles. It starts with "share", which doesn't really do anything. Then I get four icons for services that I don't even have an account for. And the last one is RSS feed of articles which is not a share and is since it doesn't apply to the article, it is out of place. All of it is combined with attention grabbing colours. Although it's worse for me than the first, I can easily have the whole thing removed with ublock. In fact, it already does so with my standard setup.

Otherwise everything is great. Still not a fan of the dark theme, but standard suits my needs just fine.
Liam Dawe Apr 19, 2020
Quoting: EhvisWanted to add a few comments on the new theming now that I have looked at it for a couple of weeks.

The vertical centre alignment of the images on the front page looks really messy to me. Since the right part is top aligned, the image is never in the same place. Doesn't look good to me. Never had any problems with the top alignment.
Will think on that one. Ideally a way to ensure the box is always the same size and the images but that's difficult.

Quoting: EhvisEver more of an issue for me is the share buttons with the articles. It starts with "share", which doesn't really do anything.
That I actually agree with, the share image itself was also aligned funky across different browsers. It's now just a nicely aligned plain text. It makes it clear while also taking less attention. Good shout.

Quoting: EhvisThen I get four icons for services that I don't even have an account for. And the last one is RSS feed of articles which is not a share and is since it doesn't apply to the article, it is out of place.
Again, agreed. RSS icon removed, wrong place for it and we already have it on the home page article list anyway. Good shout again on it.
pete910 Apr 19, 2020
Quoting: Liam Dawe
Quoting: pete910Can we have the option of the old style forum back please?

Just for you, added it back. On the forum, there's now two button at the top to switch between them. Enjoy.

:D:D:D:D
Ehvis Apr 21, 2020
I noticed you use tiny versions of the images on the main page now. The reason I noticed is because they sometimes stay on the screen. It seems to happen when you go back (using the brower back button) form a page to the main page and scroll up. The tiny image won't be replaced by the full image until the image is scrolled fully into view. Although it doesn't appear to be 100% consistent. I only use firefox, so that's all I have tested.
Liam Dawe Apr 21, 2020
Quoting: EhvisI noticed you use tiny versions of the images on the main page now. The reason I noticed is because they sometimes stay on the screen. It seems to happen when you go back (using the brower back button) form a page to the main page and scroll up. The tiny image won't be replaced by the full image until the image is scrolled fully into view. Although it doesn't appear to be 100% consistent. I only use firefox, so that's all I have tested.
Got a screenshot? Works fine here.

Frankly, Firefox's current default content line, where it decides to load the full image is not great, it's far too close to your actual view. Chrome has a more sane default with things loading when slightly off the screen so you save data and see less pop-in.
Ehvis Apr 21, 2020
Quoting: Liam DaweGot a screenshot? Works fine here.

Of course:

It gets more interesting though. When I click up on the scrollbar once, I get:

See how the picture was replaced, but it has moved up with respect to the position of the "tiny" picture. So might be an alignment thing of some sort.

Edit: also another interesting thing. Right now it doesn't matter how far I scroll the page and go back. When scrolling up, the first image to not load when scrolling back up is the one from the fractalis post.

Last edited by Ehvis on 21 April 2020 at 1:28 pm UTC
Liam Dawe Apr 21, 2020
Okay, so part of the problem was how I never put a true standardized size for article homepage/tagline images. I've now done this, so they all now need to be an exact size when uploaded and so when they're sized at different levels since we use responsive design they now all fit exactly the same. This will make working with all things like this easier going forwards but older articles won't quite fit atm but that will eventually not be an issue.

That was part of the problem here I think, as the tiny low-res image never matched up and it couldn't because the tagline images were always a different size. I've adjusted the first 7 items on the home page, let me know how you get on.
Ehvis Apr 21, 2020
Have it a quick try. The jump of the image is gone. But the late loading is still there. Doing a very slow middle mouse button scroll upward, the image replaces when I get halfway a lowercase letter on the second line of the article title.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.