You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Installing Planetary Annihilation
Sihin Sep 24, 2013
I bought the game, downloaded the tar.gz, extracted it, but can't figure out how to install. I'm running Linux Mint 14.

I'm a complete noob at installing things on Linux; my experience with the terminal extends to typing character for character what others told me to type and navigating with cd and dir. So if I am told to use such and such command, I won't know what to do; I won't know the syntax and even if I look it up I'll probably miss something that seems so obvious once you're used to it that no-one thought to mention it. I remember not to long ago when I was asking on irc why my password didn't show up when I typed it in the terminal. I thought I had done something wrong.

As a last resort, I could just download the files for windows and run it on there, but I kind-of wanted to be able to play it on Linux.

Oh, I forgot something, I also know the exit command. :)
Speedster Sep 24, 2013
Hm in a couple more days I could probaby give better advice, since I'm at beta-level.

Are you sure you need to "install" the game? A lot of Linux game have just been playable after unpacking. If you do an 'ls -l' in the unpacked directory and paste in the results, I could probably tell from the naming which file is the executable that you would run.

Alternatively, I'm sure the Linux section in Uber forums should tell how to run it, but don't have time right now to go look up my login there. Surely you have a login there too, since you've got alpha access.
Sihin Sep 26, 2013
total 96640
-rw-r--r-- 1 joshua joshua        0 Sep 23 23:42 ???@@Ȼ??@8
-rwxr-xr-x 1 joshua joshua   217835 Sep  5 11:24 crashupload
drwxr-xr-x 3 joshua joshua     4096 Sep  5 11:24 host
-r-xr-xr-x 1 joshua joshua  1410280 Sep  5 11:23 libCoherentUI.so
-r-xr-xr-x 1 joshua joshua   561576 Sep  5 11:23 libfmodevent64-4.44.16.so
-r-xr-xr-x 1 joshua joshua  1292912 Sep  5 11:23 libfmodex64-4.44.16.so
-r--r--r-- 1 joshua joshua     7654 Sep  5 11:23 licenses.txt
drwxr-xr-x 7 joshua joshua     4096 Sep  5 11:24 media
-rwxr-xr-x 1 joshua joshua 95437767 Sep  5 11:27 PA
drwxr-xr-x 2 joshua joshua     4096 Sep  5 11:27 tools
-rw-r--r-- 1 joshua joshua        6 Sep  5 11:27 version.txt

Are you sure this is the right info?
Speedster Sep 26, 2013
The fille called PA is probably the main executable, so try running that right from the unpacked directory

./PA

I hope to be downloading the beta tonight (waiting for email on downloading to arrive), so should be trying it myself soon
Sihin Sep 26, 2013
joshua@joshua-Inspiron-5520 ~/Downloads/PA $ ./PA
bash: ./PA: cannot execute binary file
joshua@joshua-Inspiron-5520 ~/Downloads/PA $ /PA
bash: /PA: No such file or directory
joshua@joshua-Inspiron-5520 ~/Downloads/PA $ dir
\001\210\360@@Ȼ\236\005@8  libCoherentUI.so          licenses.txt  tools
crashupload           libfmodevent64-4.44.16.so  media        version.txt
host               libfmodex64-4.44.16.so     PA
joshua@joshua-Inspiron-5520 ~/Downloads/PA $ PA
PA: command not found
joshua@joshua-Inspiron-5520 ~/Downloads/PA $ .PA
.PA: command not found
joshua@joshua-Inspiron-5520 ~/Downloads/PA $ make.PA
make.PA: command not found
joshua@joshua-Inspiron-5520 ~/Downloads/PA $ make./PA
bash: make./PA: No such file or directory
joshua@joshua-Inspiron-5520 ~/Downloads/PA $
Speedster Sep 26, 2013
do "file PA" from that same directory -- could be you have 32-bit Mint installed, but downloaded a 64-bit PA game
Sihin Sep 26, 2013
yep, that explains it. Thanks for the help.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.