You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Trip the Ark Fantastic: a scientific adventure RPG
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Igor Apr 21, 2020
Hi guys,

I'm Igor from Gamechuck, and we are working on something that you may find interesting; a massive adventure RPG title, Trip the Ark Fantastic

Trip the Ark Fantastic is a story-driven role-playing adventure set in the Animal Kingdom on the verge of both industrial and social revolution. The story follows Charles, a hedgehog scholar on a mission by the lion king to save the monarchy, but his decisions could end up helping reformists or even to bring about anarchy.

The first teaser trailer

link

The story revolves around an ancient myth that forms the basis of the Animal Kingdom’s caste system - the myth of the Ark Fantastic. As the myth goes, the ark was built by lions millennia ago to save all animals from a great flood. The king’s gambit is that, amidst whispers of reform and revolution, a reputable scholar such as Charles proving the existence of the mythical ark might sway animals toward a royalist stance, and thus uphold the monarchy.

Charles is accompanied by the king’s trusted advisor Philippe the Fox and the captain of the royal guard - Andre the Boar. Their task will lead them to the fringes of the Kingdom and beyond, in search of elusive truth.

LINKS

[url=https://discord.gg/pEXKnub]Ark Fantastic on Discord[/url]
[url=https://arkfantastic.com]Ark Fantastic official website[/url]
[url=https://twitter.com/ark_fantastic]Ark Fantastic on Twitter[/url]
[url=https://www.facebook.com/tripthearkfantastic/]Ark Fantastic on Facebook[/url]
[url=https://www.instagram.com/tripthearkfantastic/]Ark Fantastic on Instagram[/url]

FEATURES

- A deep and immersive secondary world set in an Animal Kingdom on the verge of industrial and social revolution, content-rich and filled with intrigue, side-quests and flavor at every step
- Completely original gameplay mechanics based on the scientific method: research, discuss, experiment, and finally publish arguments in the Animal Kingdom's papers
- An exploration of how myths, science, and philosophy can influence society, and how monarchies, democracies, and anarchies view power, authority, and legitimacy of rule
- Gorgeous art including frame-by-frame animation and vibrant landscapes inspired by the golden age of animation, as well as music inspired by the works of R. Wagner[
- A gesamtkunstwerk approach in which the art, music and gameplay all tie closely to the story of scientific discovery and the role of myths in different types of societies
- The entire development completely done in open-source technologies, including Godot Engine, Krita, Ink and MuseScore, among others

GAMEPLAY

The player progresses through the game by solving the Kingdom’s various problems and mysteries, but his method of solving them is a scientific one - he publishes compelling arguments in the Animal Kingdom’s scientific papers to prove his theories and disprove those of others. Only arguments with sound logic and solid evidence will have the power to sway public opinion and change the course of history.

Research
Sifting through the archives of the local library can reveal some important clues as well. Investigating the location of the hidden Parrot Enclave? Maybe check out the logs of the explorer’s guild!

The evidence itself can be found by talking to the local denizens (after learning their language, such as squirrelese), by using scientific equipment (a microscope, or a chemist kit), or, as a true scholar, by “standing on the shoulders of giants” and using evidence from the works of other scholars found in libraries across the Kingdom.

Scientific Equipment
A picture is worth a thousand words, so taking a photograph is often the most compelling evidence. But the camera is just one of many tools at the player’s disposal!

The player’s main challenge will be finding all the relevant evidence and then choosing the right conclusions, which are then published and reviewed by his peers, potentially resulting in a boost to his scholarly reputation.

Languages
Sometimes, the player will need to question other animals for more clues. However, not all animals speak the common tongue, so becoming fluent in the local language goes a long way towards solving the mystery at hand.

Additionally, since Charles’ scientific conclusions can have large-scale consequences on the Animal Kingdom and the monarchy in particular, there is a looming moral dilemma over whether the player should publish a certain argument or not.

THEMES AND INSPIRATIONS

We draw inspiration for the game from modern fables of classic literature, such as Animal Farm or Watership Down, as well as deep story-driven games from the roleplaying and adventure game genres, and games with unique and experimental gameplay mechanics.

Our goal is to use the game to explore various types of society (monarchy, democracy, anarchy) and to tackle questions such as how rule is legitimized, what role myths play in the shaping of society, and so on.

The animation is drawn frame-by-frame to be reminiscent of early animated classics, and the music takes cues from 19th century romanticism with the use of leitmotifs inspired by Wagner and gesamtkunstwerk opera.

The game is developed using open-source software, such as the painting tool Krita and the Godot game engine. Gamechuck studio is also a sponsor to both Krita and Godot Engine and, in the case of Godot Engine, actively contributes to its development.

WHEN IS IT COMING

The game is still in an early phase of development, but our goal is to release Ark Fantastic in 2022 on Linux, PC, Mac and consoles.

Let me know if you have any questions!
eldaking Apr 21, 2020
I'm following you guys since someone mentioned the game to me in Mastodon, looks really interesting and pretty. Didn't know about the focus on FOSS tools though, also pretty cool.
Igor Apr 22, 2020
Quoting: eldakingI'm following you guys since someone mentioned the game to me in Mastodon, looks really interesting and pretty. Didn't know about the focus on FOSS tools though, also pretty cool.

Thank you :-) Yeah, our programmer made his own Krita/Photoshop importer for Godot Engine. Currently it works on Windows only, but he'll port it to Linux later.
Ehvis Apr 22, 2020
I knew I had seen it before! :D
Igor Apr 22, 2020
I made this thread for future updates/news about the game since there'll be a lot of them :-)
Arehandoro Apr 22, 2020
QuoteOur goal is to use the game to explore various types of society (monarchy, democracy, anarchy)

Sorry to be pedantic but the first two aren't exclusive. For the rest of the what I can see, the game looks fantastic :)
Cyril Apr 22, 2020
Do you have some stores in mind for the release? Steam, itch.io, GOG, self-distribution?
Salvatos Apr 22, 2020
Quoting: Arehandoro
QuoteOur goal is to use the game to explore various types of society (monarchy, democracy, anarchy)

Sorry to be pedantic but the first two aren't exclusive.:)
As a fellow pedant, they didn’t suggest that they are, as far as I can tell ;)
Igor Apr 23, 2020
Quoting: CyrilDo you have some stores in mind for the release? Steam, itch.io, GOG, self-distribution?

Of course. Steam and GOG as common sense. Perhaps Itch.io as well. Then we might expand to other outlets as Epic Game Store, and similar.
Igor Apr 23, 2020

Sorry to be pedantic but the first two aren't exclusive. For the rest of the what I can see, the game looks fantastic :)

First things first - thank you!

I'm not sure what do you mean by "the first two aren't exclusive"? :-)
Arehandoro Apr 23, 2020
Quoting: Salvatos

Sorry to be pedantic but the first two aren't exclusive.:)
As a fellow pedant, they didn’t suggest that they are, as far as I can tell ;)

Fair enough :D

Quoting: Igor

First things first - thank you!

I'm not sure what do you mean by "the first two aren't exclusive"? :-)

I mean that, technically, monarchy and democracy aren't various types of society. In fact, one could argue that a monarchy is not a type of society but a specific categorization of a broader type of society. To make it clearer;

A monarchy can coexist with democracy* (Japan, Spain, UK) but also with oligarchies and dictatorships (Saudi Arabia, Bahrain).

*We still should define democracy but let's not go there haha
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.