Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Generic PS3/PS4 Wheel support?
Julius May 1, 2020
Edit: actually works as a Xbox360 wheel it seems, but no rumble support in Dirt Rally.

So it seems like I (cheaply) bought a brick... but maybe some of you have an idea?

Gaming wheel support for Linux is sadly somewhat limited and I didn't feel like buying an expensive known to be working Logitech wheel.

So after looking around a bit it seemed to me like there are some Trustmaster wheels that work (without Force Feedback) as generic PS3/PS4 wheels. Or so I thought :(

Because I got this cheap second hand generic PS3/PS4 wheel called "Hori Racing Wheel Apex" (hardware quality is actually nice, but no force feedback). It shows up fine as such with "lsusb" and some stuff like focusing Steam with the "PS" button seems to work.

But inside Steam, no matter what mode setting I use (it has a "PS3 wheel", a "PS4 wheel" and a "PS4 normal controller" mode) it is recognized as a "Xbox360 Controller" and doesn't work at all in games like Dirt Rally.

I am not sure what else I could try, as it doesn't seem to be a permission problem or such. Anyone got an idea or suggestion? Thanks!

Last edited by Julius on 1 May 2020 at 10:47 pm UTC
Julius May 1, 2020
Hmm, so the manual actually says on PC it uses the Xinput system... So maybe what I should be looking for is Xbox360 wheel support under Linux? Xboxdrv seems to lack that.
Julius May 1, 2020
Odd, now after playing around with it a bit, it actually seems to work. At least as a kind of controller.
Julius May 1, 2020
Ok, no rumble support (yet?), and in Dirt Rally it looks like an Xbox Controller. But it works surprisingly well. All seems to work like one would expect, including manual shifting and the wheel doesn't feel like a controller to me at least.

The trick seems to have been to set it to PS3 mode (Edit: PS4 Wheel mode seems to work the same) and initialize it after pluggin in with a full left right turn and pressing both foot pedals.

Last edited by Julius on 1 May 2020 at 10:46 pm UTC
iwantlinuxgames May 3, 2020
as far as I know, Force Feedback/Rumble needs to be supported in the driver for a racing wheel....i have an xbox one game controller and the rumble works fine...i use the default driver for Ubuntu.

i have a wheel, the logitech g29 and it is supported very well, including FF, but it isn't a cheap wheel...i dropped $400USD on it(and it went on sale the following month..grrr)..

however, it is quite hit and miss in steam games and FF support. works great in DiRT Rally, a couple of Need for Speed Games seem to lack FF.
Julius May 3, 2020
Yeah, real force feedback wheels are really too expensive for casual racing gamers like me.

In general rumble seems to be supported by the Xbox360 driver, so I though my wheel might also get some if it is recognized as such. But I guess the "advanced rumble" that it features needs special driver support.

Last edited by Julius on 3 May 2020 at 8:47 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.