You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Planning to get a new motherboard... any advice?
tuxdelux May 10, 2020
I have been keeping my motherboard and Phenom CPU limping along with upgrade after upgrade, like many other linux gamers.
I figure it's probably time to get something that takes advantage of the new technologies of the recent decade.
Are there anythings that I should be looking to avoid, when buying a new system from newegg? I saw a new-ish system that had a ACPI hard drive configuration that made it difficult to boot, for example.
Any recommendations for AMD-builds or deals would be appreciated!
Nanobang May 11, 2020
I just bought a new motherboard a few months back, switching from an Intel to an AMD CPU for the first time ever, asking very similar questions here on this forum. But let me ask you, are you asking about buying a new mobo/CPU or a whole pre-built computer? My understanding and experience is that it's a fair sight cheaper to purchase the parts and build your own than to buy pre-built.
tuxdelux May 11, 2020
Looking to buy case, motherboard, CPU, and GPU as well. I want to be sure the power supply is sufficient, too. I have a whole box full of hard drives and solid state drives. It's easy enough to install Linux, but I want to be sure there are no incompatibilities when I make the purchase.

Thank you for the link. Just what I was looking for. Looks like you settled on ryzen 7/9 for cpu. Any thoughts about a mid level gpu? With cost and energy efficiency in mind. Not going for 1080p or VR system.

Last edited by tuxdelux on 11 May 2020 at 4:52 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.