Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Denuvo Anti-Cheat breaks Doom Eternal with Proton
Page: 1/3»
  Go to:
Corben May 15, 2020
Though I bet everyone interested has seen this already, but I haven't found a post here yet... yesterday's update for Doom Eternal introduced a new anti-cheat, Denuvo Anti-Cheat:
QuoteNew Features for PC

Added Denuvo Anti-Cheat software required for playing BATTLEMODE on PC

- Denuvo Anti-Cheat uses a kernel-mode driver
- Use of the kernel-mode driver starts when the game launches and stops when the game stops for any reason
With some promises to keep your privacy safe. Of course a kernel-mode driver doesn't work with wine, and as this driver starts with the game, the game doesn't work in Proton any more.

This is especially sad, as quite some effort was taken to get Doom Eternal up and running in Proton. Both from nVidia's side and from Valve's side.

Feels like this:

Maybe they will allow to start the single player campaign without DAC (denuvo anti-cheat), like the Halo Master Chief Collection does. Fingers crossed.

I know the risk with updates constantly breaking games with Proton, but so far it mostly works out well and I'm happy to play games with Proton. Or Lutris. Or wine.

Last edited by Corben on 15 May 2020 at 11:37 am UTC
Ehvis May 15, 2020
Quoting: CorbenMaybe they will allow to start the single player campaign without DAC (denuvo anti-cheat), like the Halo Master Chief Collection does. Fingers crossed.

Highly doubtful. First problem is that people may think they're talking to "Bethesda", which they're not. Bethesda Softworks is just a name that Zenimax uses to publish games and Zenimax are not really the most consumer friendly bunch. Doom is also mostly played as a single player game. There was no reason for it to be there at all, let alone the entire single player experience. So it appears that this was just Zenimax forcing on another layer of DRM.

The only hope might be that it doesn't seem to work properly for everybody on Windows either. So they might have to postpone it if it turns out to be common. But it's still Zenimax, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Last edited by Ehvis on 15 May 2020 at 12:38 pm UTC
Cyril May 15, 2020
Seriously this kernel-mode driver thing seems horrible for gaming as you pointed out, Riot will implement it in League of Legends too, and that will prevent Linux users to play it.
But also, and especially, in privacy terms which is a true nightmare (they have control on our PC entirely and we have to trust them - said Riot for ex), but you know what? People will accept it. :(
randyl May 15, 2020
This must be a different implementation of Denuvo than other games like MCC or BL3? Well, this is a hard pass. Since Skyrim Bethesda and Zenimax has become increasingly unfriendly and aggressive in their product offerings. For me, this foreshadows the Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6 releases - draconian drm and heavy monetization.
ageres May 15, 2020
People aren't happy with Denuvo:
Corben May 15, 2020
Quoting: randylThis must be a different implementation of Denuvo than other games like MCC or BL3?
It's not Denuvo Anti-Tamper (which does work after adjustmens in Proton), it's the new Denuvo Anti-Cheat.
randyl May 15, 2020
Quoting: Corben
Quoting: randylThis must be a different implementation of Denuvo than other games like MCC or BL3?
It's not Denuvo Anti-Tamper (which does work after adjustmens in Proton), it's the new Denuvo Anti-Cheat.
Thanks for clarifying. And ugh, the anticheat bandwagon is a nightmare.
Schattenspiegel May 15, 2020
Wait - was battlemode not the 2vs1 sad excuse of a multiplayer mode that no one really played except maybe with 2 friends once or twice? why would it need anticheat? Is it an e-sport now?
Pangaea May 15, 2020
DRM breaking games? Well, blimey. That is definitely a first! :D
dubigrasu May 15, 2020
Interesting video from Modern Vintage Gamer, but only posting it because:
https://youtu.be/NYxLBhOgwYg?t=363
Corben May 15, 2020
Oh wow, a buddy linked me this:
QuoteMG: We've been tracking the Proton issue immediately after launch and are committed to delivering a fix soon. This isn't a request coming to us from a publisher or anything like that - we genuinely respect such an enthusiast community and regret introducing this incompatibility on day 1.
MG=Michail Greshishchev, Product Owner at Denuvo Anti-Cheat
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.