Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Gaming on ARM
sr_ls_boy May 16, 2020
I'm considering purchasing a single board computer. The main requirement is the best Mali GPU that I can find. There are many different models from different vendors to choose from. In my searches the best GPU that seems to be on board is the Mali-T860(4th gen). I couldn't find any SoC's with a bitfrost GPU.

There are some good choices.

Khadas Edge-V Pro
ASUS Tinker Board S
SmartFly Tech ROCK Pi
FriendlyElec NanoPC-T4
ROCK PI 4B - Rockchip RK3399

The Mali GPU Wiki Page

Any comments?

Last edited by sr_ls_boy on 16 May 2020 at 7:26 pm UTC
denyasis May 16, 2020
Out of curiosity, what do you plan on playing? Most native games aren't compiled for ARM, so like emulated titles or streaming?

Side note, the ROCKPI looks nice as does khadas. The others have notably smaller/slower memory.

Looks like it's the same CPU for both along with the same memory. I think the only real difference between the two are the extra features and price.
sr_ls_boy May 16, 2020
Probably just FOSS games.
sr_ls_boy May 17, 2020
I don't think the khadas has 32 GB of mem. That's what is stated in the title.

Anyway this is another one.
Orange Pi 4B
Julius Sep 27, 2020
This thread on getting games to work on the PineBook Pro gives a good idea what is possible (with a Panfrost supported GPU on the SoC): https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=8665

There are some good options for running FOSS games and some lower end emulation, but sadly only the RasberryPI works as a Steamlink.

Also some SBCs (like the RasberryPI4) lack adequate cooling out of the box, thus this needs to be considered when purchasing.

Last edited by Julius on 27 September 2020 at 11:58 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.