SimRacing Hardware (Pedals, Wheelbase)?
Werner Jun 17, 2020
Hi all,

currently i have a Logitech G29 + Shifter, next week i will get the Simetik K2-R Cockpit, were i first will use my G29, but i also bought new pedals because the Logitech ones suck, so i bought also Heusinkveld Sim Pedals Sprint.

So my question is will the pedals run, because they are a normal input device as far as i found out, for sure i won't be able to configure them as in windows :(, which is sad already but if i can't use them at all then i really need to build a PC with Windows on it to use it only for my Simracing.

I will need windows in the future anyway when i will replace also the G29 with a DD wheelbase, but that is more planned for the end of this year, so it would be nice if i could still play my racing games under Linux with my new setup.

I hope someone use some other pedals with Linux.

The G29 works really good under Linux thanks for the great devs, but for better simracing hardware there seems to be nothing :(

Last edited by Werner on 17 June 2020 at 6:43 pm UTC
Ehvis Jun 18, 2020
Almost all USB input devices are standard HID devices and "should" work. The quicks list in the kernel shows that this is not always the case, but it's mostly fine. I have some rudder pedals which work without issues. Unfortunately HID this only covers the communication from the device to the PC, so anything that requires configuration or control has its own protocol and requires its own code. Which is is not really difficult to make, but it's still a problem for niche hardware.
Werner Jun 18, 2020
thanks for the answer, yes i was expecting it, i will try it next week when all is build up, i hope they will work without any configuration, if i can't get them to work as they should i will have to install Windows for Simracing :(
CatKiller Jun 18, 2020
If you're going to give them money anyway and use Windows, what incentive do they have to make their hardware work with Linux?
Werner Jun 18, 2020
i would understand if they would make linux drivers/software if simracing in its current state on linux would be great, but there are still a lot of issues with some games, also when it comes to online racing, i know that on all fronts things are improving really nice and i would love to play only with Linux, but i have no issue to use a windows PC just for simracing, thats a extra PC on my rig so its ok.
Anyway i will still ask them if it would be possible to make something for linux, but i think with such a niche hardware it could be that i am the first one who asks :)
Werner Jun 21, 2020
Just a Update the Heusinkveld Sim Pedals Sprint work under Linux, great so now i can still play under Linux as long as i stay with my G29 and don't use the Software to load profiles for the pedals :)

input: Heusinkveld Heusinkveld Sim Pedals Sprint as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:07.1/0000:07:00.3/usb3/3-1/3-1:1.0/0003:30B7:1001.000A/input/input37
hid-generic 0003:30B7:1001.000A: input,hidraw4: USB HID v1.11 Joystick [Heusinkveld Heusinkveld Sim Pedals Sprint] on usb-0000:07:00.3-1/input0

Last edited by Werner on 22 June 2020 at 9:00 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.