Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Cyberpunk 2077 will be DirectX12 only
Page: 1/5»
  Go to:
ziabice Jul 2, 2020
Hi!
The site DSOGaming linked an article from the German site PCGamesHardware containing an interview with Cyberpunk 2077 developers.

In this article they say that it will use DirectX 12 only and talk about ray tracing.

Given the great amount of work going on into Vkd3d I highly hope it will work on day one under Proton.

I still remember when The Witcher 3 started to work under WINE + DXVK and we were all impressed: with this new game, Linux gaming will raise the bar even more!
nolddor Jul 2, 2020
Let's see if Proton is able to fully run the game from the very beginning... cross fingers
Avehicle7887 Jul 2, 2020
It seems ray tracing was the main reason for going DX12. For a multi million dollar game is quite understandable that they'd want to make the most of it.

Maybe in time and if they still decide to go forward with Stadia, we might see a Vulkan renderer.
Grazen Jul 3, 2020
DX12 is a proprietary Microsoft standard that as far as I know is only used in Windows 10 and the Xbox One. The game is also being released on Stadia and PS4/5 so there must be a version that doesn’t use DX12 somewhere. Stadia uses Vulkan I believe. I’m not sure what PlayStation uses but it’s absolutely not DX12. The PlayStation version will also support ray tracing. While this doesn’t mean that a non DX12 version will ever be released for Windows, I don’t think that it’s correct to say that there won’t be other versions that use Vulkan or some other API.
Ehvis Jul 3, 2020
The Stadia thing would indeed make you wonder whether they also added a Vulkan backend to the renderer. Which could in theory be used for PS5 as well. No ray tracing for Stadia though since it is built an AMD hardware. It is curious that the consoles will get ray tracing since those too are built on AMD hardware. Since I haven't seen evidence that they have specific hardware support, would that be just generic compute stuff? Doesn't sound like there would be much left to work with compared to hardware support. Time will tell.

Last edited by Ehvis on 3 July 2020 at 9:13 am UTC
x_wing Jul 3, 2020
Quoting: Avehicle7887It seems ray tracing was the main reason for going DX12. For a multi million dollar game is quite understandable that they'd want to make the most of it.

Maybe in time and if they still decide to go forward with Stadia, we might see a Vulkan renderer.

AFAIK the Stadia release is confirmed. Not having the vulkan renderer is probably a artificial limitation or a saving maneuver (you save QA). But still, the issue may come from Nvidia ray tracing implementation (if I recall correctly, they implemented ray tracing on DX12 at first).

Either way, I guess is time to understand that CDPR don't give a fuck about Linux.
Kuduzkehpan Jul 3, 2020
million dolar game day one support for %1 userbase beyond there would we see dozens of dx12 bullshit problems (first of alls its windows10 only.) most of pc gamers wont be able to play it with windows 7 or so.
so let them hit the barrier as much as they push the pedal of dx12.
Future is Vulkan and OpenSource no one can change that.
x_wing Jul 3, 2020
Quoting: Kuduzkehpanmillion dolar game day one support for %1 userbase beyond there would we see dozens of dx12 bullshit problems (first of alls its windows10 only.) most of pc gamers wont be able to play it with windows 7 or so.
so let them hit the barrier as much as they push the pedal of dx12.
Future is Vulkan and OpenSource no one can change that.

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

The market share for DX12 is probably big enough for them. All this shit definitely started with Nvidia and their shitty DX12 RT implementation (it came first). Lets be real here: it will take a while until it is playable on Linux. That said, fuck CDPR and fuck GOG.

Last edited by x_wing on 3 July 2020 at 9:33 pm UTC
Ehvis Jul 3, 2020
Quoting: Kuduzkehpanmillion dolar game day one support for %1 userbase beyond there would we see dozens of dx12 bullshit problems (first of alls its windows10 only.) most of pc gamers wont be able to play it with windows 7 or so.

Yes they will, only Win8 doesn't have DX12.
Koopacabras Jul 4, 2020
Isn't read dead redemption 2 DX12 also? what's the performance like on that one?
x_wing Jul 4, 2020
Quoting: The_AquabatIsn't read dead redemption 2 DX12 also? what's the performance like on that one?

It has Vulkan and DX12. AFAIK, you must run the game with Vulkan renderer on Linux: https://flightlessmango.com/benchmarks/6RfJoH1N6IQ
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.