Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Cyberpunk 2077 will be DirectX12 only
Page: «2/5»
  Go to:
mylka Jul 4, 2020
is RT really that important?
just look at the steam statisics
barley any users have a RTX cards and who knows how this game runs with an 2060 RTX ON? 1080 with 30FPS?
new consoles? i dont know if they can handle AAA games with RT well....

fabian döhla (CDPR PR-GUY) was in her stream https://www.twitch.tv/laraloft/ and he said no linux version, because not profitable
i wonder how this can be, when feral makes money with less popular games
x_wing Jul 4, 2020
Quoting: mylkais RT really that important?
barley any users have a RTX cards and who knows how this game runs with an 2060 RTX ON? 1080 with 30FPS?

Is an Nvidia sponsorship probably. They did the same with physx in the past.
mylka Jul 5, 2020
Quoting: x_wing
Quoting: mylkais RT really that important?

Is an Nvidia sponsorship probably. They did the same with physx in the past.

i think physx didnt mess up your FPS after all. RTX ON = half FPS. i am not sure if its worth for AAA games.
maybe it changes with the new gpu generation, but even then not everyone will buy these expensive cards

anyways. i dont think ray tracing is a selling point for today, or near future

the top10 gpus on steam

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 11.27%
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 8.01%
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 5.10%
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 3.91%
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 2.87%
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 2.59%
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 2.43%
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 2.39%
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 1.98%
AMD Radeon RX 580 1.98%

just 1 RTX..... the weakest one
Shmerl Jul 5, 2020
Either way, I'm not buying it for full price for vkd3d. Not going to support this DX12 junk from MS. Either someone will give me a key (I don't mind then) or I'll wait until a native Linux release or some huge discount.

It's like "hey, it's a cyberpunk game created with corrupt corpo behind it pushing their lock-in". How ironic.

Last edited by Shmerl on 5 July 2020 at 3:26 am UTC
x_wing Jul 5, 2020
Quoting: mylkai think physx didnt mess up your FPS after all. RTX ON = half FPS. i am not sure if its worth for AAA games.
maybe it changes with the new gpu generation, but even then not everyone will buy these expensive cards

anyways. i dont think ray tracing is a selling point for today, or near future

I expressed myself badly. What I meant was that it is yet again the Nvidia strategy of pushing their proprietary APIs in order to justify their selling "feature" of the RTX GPUs. As you said, even the majority of Nvidia market will not be able to run the game with RT enable (at least if at high settings or with good FPS) but when the time to buy a new GPUs comes many will end up choosing Nvidia because "it allows me to play that little bunch of game with their proprietary API", even if they have to pay slightly more for it.

Last edited by x_wing on 5 July 2020 at 6:57 am UTC
x_wing Jul 5, 2020
Quoting: tpauThere are Vulkan features for raytracing:
https://www.khronos.org/registry/vulkan/specs/1.2-extensions/man/html/VK_KHR_ray_tracing.html

Yeah, but it came one year later than DXR. In fact, I think that the only game that implements RT with Vulkan is Quake II.

Last edited by x_wing on 5 July 2020 at 7:03 am UTC
Shmerl Jul 5, 2020
Ray tracing could be implemented in Vulkan without extensions already. They just provide convenience. The whole point of those extensions was to utilize hardware specific implementation and then fallback in case there is no such hardware. So a year ago or not wouldn't have made any difference really. But sure, MS is ready to sell any koolaid, as long as it locks developers into their APIs.
Ehvis Jul 5, 2020
Quoting: ShmerlRay tracing could be implemented in Vulkan without extensions already. They just provide convenience.

3D rendering can also be implemented on your CPU. That doesn't mean it's efficient.
Shmerl Jul 5, 2020
Without hardware support, it's as efficient as your general purpose compute units allow. So what exactly wasn't possible to do in Vulkan before?

Last edited by Shmerl on 5 July 2020 at 8:20 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.