You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Mini HW for Linux Gaming with solid GPU
miszterx Jul 20, 2020
Hi,

I have just decided to buy a gaming PC for the future. I have realized the 80% of my steam games are linux native supported, the rest is platinum supported by steam play (use proton emulation). I tried in a simple VM, and worked fine. Even the remote play to use them via tablet or TV or even with my Mac. (Unfortunately the VM was really not fit for this usage, so it was terrible slow but worked).

So I have decided to find and buy a dedicated HW for this, what I can wake up when I need. (Like a console, just PC).

One of my goal would be a really mini-low_power machine with dedicated solid GPU. Expectation is nearly run everything with 1080p and 60fps. Or at least really close. In my research I found Intel NUC Hades Canyon (https://simplynuc.com/hades-canyon/) what was really close to what I searched. Quite oldish the HW inside, but all the test showed it is reasonable. Now I also see there is rumors that the new (probably called Phantom Canyon) will be a new Intel NUC with dedicated 3rd party GPU (maybe GTX 1660?) https://www.notebookcheck.net/Phantom-Canyon-NUC-11-Extreme-with-28-W-Core-i5-Tiger-Lake-U-4-4-GHz-boost-and-GTX-1660-Ti-spotted-RTX-2070-Super-Max-Q-variant-also-expected.466778.0.html.

Unfortunately as far as I can see it may release in the end of the year. Plus the Linux compatibility is questionable.

So I would like to collect info regarding this kind of activity. Build / buy a mini PC with linux supported and strong enough for ~1080p@60fps and use it via steam and remote play. Low energy, small size, silent working. Something what probably the Hades Canyon would offer.

Do you have idea? Recommendation? Even experience with similar needs and usage?

Thanks in advance!
Julius Jul 20, 2020
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-4000-powered-asus-mini-pc-challenges-intels-nuc

Looks interesting, and I think the Ryzen4000 APUs should give a not too bad gaming performance.
miszterx Jul 20, 2020
Thanks for the link. Not sure Ryzen performance at all, however based on the article I think they pair the normal NUC with this one. So integrated Intel GPU with Ryzen based integrated solution.

I am not sure the expected 1080p@60 would be possible with them. The NUC what I mentioned Hades Canyon is a special when they had a separated GPU. So I think I would need something like this. Probably a GTX 1xxx mini.

However I will keep on eye on this Ryzen4000 based Asus Mini PC as well. Thanks again!
Julius Jul 20, 2020
No Ryzen is by AMD. Nothing to do with Intel.

Sure AMD's integrated GPU isn't fully comparable to a dedicated GPU either, but they are much better than Intel's iGPUs and you were asking for a small low power PC.

You can't really get that with a dedicated GPU... well other then rumors about a new Intel NUC that will probably in the end hardly be better then a Ryzen APU as there are hard limited to what you can do in that form factor and power consumption target.

Last edited by Julius on 20 July 2020 at 8:53 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.