It doesn't seem I have the Radeon drivers installed, can it be?
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
drpeppercan Aug 29, 2020
5.7 was the right kernel!
Now I can put the laptop in Suspend, and it will wake up without a black screen!
Oh, wait! that was a different issue ;)

Well, at least now I can choose various Display resolutions. Before I only had 1 :(
The only issue left is that I still cannot choose OpenCL as a Blender-Cycles Render Device. Which is the reason I started this thread, I thought maybe I don't have the Radeon drivers.

What should I do next to confirm that I am running whatever is needed to make the most of the Radeon Graphics in my laptop?

Last edited by drpeppercan on 29 August 2020 at 8:55 pm UTC
Shmerl Aug 30, 2020
Try the latest kernel first (5.8.5).

What is your Mesa version?
Jared Aug 30, 2020
Quoting: drpeppercan5.7 was the right kernel!
Now I can put the laptop in Suspend, and it will wake up without a black screen!
Oh, wait! that was a different issue ;)

Well, at least now I can choose various Display resolutions. Before I only had 1 :(
The only issue left is that I still cannot choose OpenCL as a Blender-Cycles Render Device. Which is the reason I started this thread, I thought maybe I don't have the Radeon drivers.

What should I do next to confirm that I am running whatever is needed to make the most of the Radeon Graphics in my laptop?
Trying to get OpenCL for the open source AMD drivers can be a bit complicated. This guide explains how to get proper OpenCL support. The reason for this is because proper support of OpenCL can be found in AMD's proprietary drivers which themselves are only supported on Ubuntu LTS releases officially. The guide I showed would allow you to be able to use it on the open source drivers.

Last edited by Jared on 2 September 2020 at 1:55 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.