You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Thoughts on Recent AMD Drivers?
n30p1r4t3 Nov 8, 2013
Hey guys,
I'm really thinking about replacing my aging GTX 680 with the new R9 290X (once aftermarket coolings comes), and was wondering if for a fact AMD's drivers are improving to par-Nvidia levels.

What possible drawbacks would I occur? What gains?

Or given the state of Nvidia drivers, would the investment in a 780/780Ti provide enough of a warrant for the $300 extra?

I'm not afraid to use BETA drivers, but I'm afraid I'll miss PhysX too much (in Assassins Creed IV etc).

Thank you for any advice. :)
Half-Shot Nov 8, 2013
I have a 7950 currently that manages about 1/2-3/4 of its preformance in Windows. The Beta drivers are a must have for your card but also i find preformance grows dramatically.

So in answer  to your question:

Improving: Yes
On Par with Nvidia: Not yet

Drawbacks would be that the drivers are very late on the updates to Xorg so if your using a distro like Arch your more or less forced to use BETA anyway. There are a few bugs here and there but the driver is pretty stable.

PhysX isn't all that in reality. You can live if its a $300 difference.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.