Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Starts Today
14 Oct 6, 2020
I don't know about you guys, but I find news of the upcoming Baldur's Gate 3 irresistible. It releases in Early Access on Steam, Stadia, and GOG today, at 10:00 PDT. I really hope a few folk test it out with Proton. If Cyberpunk wasn't around the corner, I'd be the gentleman and do the testing myself. With Steam, you can always return the game if it doesn't run at all on your system.

I'm not sure where I'd get Linux + Stadia feedback except forums like this one, Reddit, official BG3, etc.

I am hoping Proton works well because that would be my preference. But if Stadia is the more uninterrupted experience, I'd be tempted to make a first purchase there.

Oh, I almost forgot GeForce NOW. That could be a backup method to playing the Steam version...? What concerns me with that option is Linux is not officially a supported client. On the other hand, they would probably have to make an effort and block it on purpose since it's browser-based.
Shmerl Oct 7, 2020
Please comment here, to let developers know you want a proper Linux version:

http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=652719
14 Oct 7, 2020
Wow, that's uh... pretty classic message board they got there. They are listening on HTTPS with a certificate that expired in 2018. I think they need to hire me.

I know I am being pessimistic here, but DoS2 did not get a Linux release and I... well, I'm not holding my breath. AFAIK, they have never mentioned Linux for BG3. I hope I am surprised down the road.
Shmerl Oct 7, 2020
Quoting: 14I know I am being pessimistic here, but DoS2 did not get a Linux release and I... well, I'm not holding my breath.

Very different situation with DoS2. They didn't have any Linux developers in the studio to work on it.

With BG3 it's a different story. Not only BG3 was already ported to Linux in-house (for Stadia release), they are even using Vulkan in the Windows version. So making a proper Linux release is now much easier for them. The question is rather whether they have any interest.

Last edited by Shmerl on 7 October 2020 at 3:37 am UTC
Shmerl Oct 7, 2020
Wait, the game has turn based combat, not real time / pause based like the first two games? That is hugely surprising.

Last edited by Shmerl on 7 October 2020 at 3:57 am UTC
Shmerl Oct 7, 2020
https://segmentnext.com/2020/03/09/baldurs-gate-3-critical-real-time-with-pause/

Oh, sure. It looks "messy", right? Good thing at least Pathfinder: Kingmaker now offers both modes.
mos Oct 8, 2020
Since it's DoS 3 with a BG badge slapped on having TB-only combat isn't surprising.
Which for me personally is only good cos I hated the "active pause" with passion.
Arehandoro Oct 8, 2020
HAve read few comments stating it looks/plays more like a Divinity than a Baldur's Gate. And that, so far, thye haven't seen a real reason as of why Baldur's Gate 3 a title as nothing from the previous games appears in the lore/game. I'll probably end up buying it, but knowing that is a bit of a bummer.
14 Oct 9, 2020
So it is turn-based only then? Huh. Well, I liked Shadowrun: Dragonfall a lot. But yeah, I do want it to feel different than DoS2. I think it will from all the close-up facial animations and voice acting.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.