Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
WoW with Wine seems to need Wine Staging 5.19
Liam Dawe Oct 13, 2020
Just a quick PSA: looks like WoW (World of Warcraft) needs Wine Staging 5.19 minimum otherwise even the login screen gives errors.
Avehicle7887 Oct 14, 2020
Thanks for the update Liam, I tried the game not long ago and the in-game shop was crashing, really put me off from subbing to the game. Any idea if that works fine?
Liam Dawe Oct 14, 2020
Quoting: Avehicle7887Thanks for the update Liam, I tried the game not long ago and the in-game shop was crashing, really put me off from subbing to the game. Any idea if that works fine?
So far Sin hasn't had any problems with Wine Staging 5.19, but normal Wine with Lutris seems to have issues.
Avehicle7887 Oct 14, 2020
Quoting: Liam Dawe
Quoting: Avehicle7887Thanks for the update Liam, I tried the game not long ago and the in-game shop was crashing, really put me off from subbing to the game. Any idea if that works fine?
So far Sin hasn't had any problems with Wine Staging 5.19, but normal Wine with Lutris seems to have issues.

Thanks, looks like I'm giving it another shot at this point. I'll look into those Lutris issues maybe they're similar to what I was getting about 2 months ago.

Last edited by Avehicle7887 on 14 October 2020 at 11:24 am UTC
Sojiro84 Oct 15, 2020
I could not get to exiles reach island (part after the boat), my whole system freezes.

Old zones work until it doesn't and then my system freezes.

Tried DX11, DX11 Legacy and DX12, kernel 5.8 and 5.9.

Also on wine-staging 5.19.

Whatever this patch has done, my amd gpu does not like it and it makes my system hang. Hope it can be fixed soon.
Sojiro84 Oct 16, 2020
Tried a complete reinstall of the game but when I am ingame I still get a complete system freeze.

I am now thinking wow does something new that mesa has yet to support.
Liam Dawe Oct 16, 2020
Yeah must be a Mesa issue, it works fine on NVIDIA.
Sojiro84 Oct 16, 2020
Quoting: Liam DaweYeah must be a Mesa issue, it works fine on NVIDIA.

Seeing as my searching around on the internet did not provided a solution, it was up to me this time to make a ticket at the mesa's gitlab https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/3652 and a workaround was found!

I had to revert to the LLVM compiler and now the game runs stable. It seems the latest WoW patch does something that ACO does not know how to handle yet.

Edit: I was wrong. LLVM also did not helped. The problem was that I somehow had ADMVLK on my system. The official AMD Vulkan drivers. After removing the AMDVLK packages the game works perfectly now. I had to use the Radeon Vulkan drivers.

Last edited by Sojiro84 on 17 October 2020 at 10:20 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.