Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Kernel 5.9 and NVENC codes
lordgault Oct 18, 2020
ewertonurias Oct 18, 2020
Maybe this is the reason i'm not able to use OBS + NVENC in openSUSE Tumbleweed.

I left manjaro with NVENC working, and NVENC didn't work on openSUSE Tumbleweed, I installed KDE Neon and NVENC worked, I returned Tumbleweed and it didn't work.

I hope this is it...
denyasis Oct 18, 2020
Just walked over to my machine. Tumbleweed is at 5.8 still for me. I'll just have to remind my self to to upgrade for a bit.

I've been bitten by upgrading too soon before. I must admit, I like tumbleweed's snapshot rollback feature, even if it's a little non user friendly.

Thanks for the heads up!
ewertonurias Oct 18, 2020
Quoting: denyasisJust walked over to my machine. Tumbleweed is at 5.8 still for me. I'll just have to remind my self to to upgrade for a bit.

I've been bitten by upgrading too soon before. I must admit, I like tumbleweed's snapshot rollback feature, even if it's a little non user friendly.

Thanks for the heads up!
Are you doing OBS + NVENC recording on Tumbleweed?

I'm new to openSUSE, and I'm getting this message:

"Failed to open NVENC codec: Unknown error occurred. Please make sure your video drivers are up to date."
denyasis Oct 26, 2020
I must admit I am not. My machine is fairly barbones, just for gaming. I don't live stream or record or anything.

Looking at the error, I would guess that kernel issue would be your problem then. Best bet, you could try to roll back to the 5.8 series. Usually tumbleweed keeps few kernel versions. You can try loading with it from grub. Worsts case you can BTRFS snapshot back or wait a week or two for Nvidia to update that driver.

I hope that helps.
g000h Oct 27, 2020
I ran a manual update today (Debian 10 Testing Bullseye) after probably a couple of weeks of not running an update. The updates included kernel 5.9.0-1 and it seems that it is not working properly with the Nvidia driver.

As such I'm booting up and selecting the previous kernel (5.8.0-2) in the Grub2 boot menu. Posting this here in case it is useful to someone else.

My understanding is that we're waiting for Nvidia to update their driver before it will work with this Linux kernel (5.9.0-1) and it is looking like it won't be ready until some time in mid-November.

Does anyone have more useful information to add?
ewertonurias Oct 28, 2020
Quoting: denyasisI must admit I am not. My machine is fairly barbones, just for gaming. I don't live stream or record or anything.

Looking at the error, I would guess that kernel issue would be your problem then. Best bet, you could try to roll back to the 5.8 series. Usually tumbleweed keeps few kernel versions. You can try loading with it from grub. Worsts case you can BTRFS snapshot back or wait a week or two for Nvidia to update that driver.

I hope that helps.

Thanks for the comment, but my problem has been solved.

The error was happening with kernel 5.8, but it was fixed automatically after an update to the nvidia-driver that occurred on the 24rd.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.