Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Please Include LBRY Links with your Videos? [no longer using lbry]
Cyba.Cowboy Oct 20, 2020
When I view an article that contains a video GamingOnLinux has uploaded to their respective YouTube Channel, I see this:

Can you please add a "View on Odysee.com" / "View on LBRY" link alongside the "Accept Cookies & Show" / "Direct Link" buttons... GamingOnLinux already has a "LBRY" Channel, why not promote its existence on these Open Source alternatives to YouTube?

Oh, and whilst we're on the subject of Odysee.com / LBRY, how about adding a field on the (GamingOnLinux) "profile" page for a link to one's "Odysee.com" / "LBRY" Channel?

Last edited by Liam Dawe on 23 January 2021 at 12:28 pm UTC
Liam Dawe Oct 20, 2020
I don't want to over-complicate things. While LBRY is an interesting idea as an alternative, if I'm honest I set it to auto to let it just do its thing and it doesn't even work correctly. I've told them multiple times it's not syncing correctly and they never fixed it. I've not been too impressed with them. The whole cryptocurrency thing makes me feel quite uneasy too.
Zlopez Oct 20, 2020
  • Supporter Plus
I can recommend this plugin https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/watch-on-lbry You will get automatically redirected to lbry.tv if the video is there. It's not working every time.
Cyba.Cowboy Oct 20, 2020
Quoting: Cyba.CowboyOh, and whilst we're on the subject of Odysee.com / LBRY, how about adding a field on the (GamingOnLinux) "profile" page for a link to one's "Odysee.com" / "LBRY" Channel?

Any chance of this happening?

Quoting: Liam DaweI don't want to over-complicate things. While LBRY is an interesting idea as an alternative, if I'm honest I set it to auto to let it just do its thing and it doesn't even work correctly. I've told them multiple times it's not syncing correctly and they never fixed it.

That's interesting to know... I wonder if this is a widespread issue, or just something specific to you?

I have a couple of videos on LBRY and they uploaded without issue (really quickly, too) - but then, I don't use YouTube and I am uploading them directly, so it might be different in my case.

Quoting: Liam DaweThe whole cryptocurrency thing makes me feel quite uneasy too.

I like the concept, and even bought a whole heap of LBRY Credits ("LBC") to donate to content creators last night, too...

I do wonder how this will work long-term though, because whilst many content creators are saying that they're making money through LBRY (some are even claiming to make almost as much as they do on YouTube!), I'm not convinced that the Everyday Joe / Everyday Sally is going to be buying LBRY Credits ("LBC") to "donate" to content creators, even though the process is unbelievably easy. The Tech Savvy person like you or I, absolutely; but I just don't see it happening with the Everyday Joe / Everyday Sally.

Quoting: ZlopezI can recommend this plugin https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/watch-on-lbry You will get automatically redirected to lbry.tv if the video is there. It's not working every time.

I've gotta head out in a sec, but I am definitely going to have a look at this when I get back... Thanks!

Last edited by Cyba.Cowboy on 20 October 2020 at 11:49 pm UTC
PublicNuisance Oct 22, 2020
Quoting: Liam DaweI don't want to over-complicate things. While LBRY is an interesting idea as an alternative, if I'm honest I set it to auto to let it just do its thing and it doesn't even work correctly. I've told them multiple times it's not syncing correctly and they never fixed it. I've not been too impressed with them. The whole cryptocurrency thing makes me feel quite uneasy too.

Fair enough. Have you experimented with Peertube, Bitchute or other alternatives ?
GustyGhost Oct 22, 2020
[quote=PublicNuisance]
Quoting: Liam DaweFair enough. Have you experimented with Peertube, Bitchute or other alternatives ?

Peertube is in a class all its own. While the others are conventional sites, peertube is more of a protocol. And with Invidious instances beginning to fall into disrepair (the original maintainer has quit), I increasingly find myself on peertube.
PublicNuisance Oct 23, 2020
[quote=GustyGhost]
Quoting: PublicNuisance
Quoting: Liam DaweFair enough. Have you experimented with Peertube, Bitchute or other alternatives ?

Peertube is in a class all its own. While the others are conventional sites, peertube is more of a protocol. And with Invidious instances beginning to fall into disrepair (the original maintainer has quit), I increasingly find myself on peertube.

I find myself using Peertube over LBRY as well. I simply like the interface better. Being able to thumbs up a video and have a watch later list are nice features I enjoyed on Youtube.

Last edited by PublicNuisance on 24 October 2020 at 4:16 pm UTC
Cyba.Cowboy Oct 24, 2020
Quoting: PublicNuisanceFair enough. Have you experimented with Peertube, Bitchute or other alternatives ?

BitChute is, well it's basically a white supremacist's best alternative to YouTube... I mean, the content over there is incredibly toxic.

Also like with PeerTube and pretty much anything else using WebTorrent for video content, I found the performance to be sub-par (to the point of almost being useless!) and there is no application for mobile devices, that I am aware of.

In comparison, I find that the performance of LBRY is comparable to that of YouTube (it's not quite identical - but awfully close), even with my VPNs running; and they have applications for just about every major operating system you can name (Apple's iOS is the only major operating system not covered - though apparently the application for iOS is in the works).

Quoting: PublicNuisanceI find myself using Peertube over LBRY as well. I simply like the interface better. Being able to tumbs up a video and have a watch later list are nice features I enjoyed on Youtube.

Not too sure about a "watch now" list, but Odysee.com - which uses the "LBRY" protocol in the background - has a like / dislike feature... They've said that it may come to the "LBRY" applications and LBRY.tv in the future (it's all made by the same team).

Last edited by Cyba.Cowboy on 24 October 2020 at 6:51 am UTC
PublicNuisance Oct 24, 2020
Quoting: Cyba.Cowboy
Quoting: PublicNuisanceFair enough. Have you experimented with Peertube, Bitchute or other alternatives ?

BitChute is, well it's basically a white supremacist's best alternative to YouTube... I mean, the content over there is incredibly toxic.

Also like with PeerTube and pretty much anything else using WebTorrent for video content, I found the performance to be sub-par (to the point of almost being useless!) and there is no application for mobile devices, that I am aware of.

In comparison, I find that the performance of LBRY is comparable to that of YouTube (it's not quite identical - but awfully close), even with my VPNs running; and they have applications for just about every major operating system you can name (Apple's iOS is the only major operating system not covered - though apparently the application for iOS is in the works).

Quoting: PublicNuisanceI find myself using Peertube over LBRY as well. I simply like the interface better. Being able to tumbs up a video and have a watch later list are nice features I enjoyed on Youtube.

Not too sure about a "watch now" list, but Odysee.com - which uses the "LBRY" protocol in the background - has a like / dislike feature... They've said that it may come to the "LBRY" applications and LBRY.tv in the future (it's all made by the same team).

I can find toxic content on Youtube as well. It all depends on what you define as toxic, something you will get many answers for. On Bitchute you can also find content such as HexDSL; Bryan Lunduke; Destination Linux; GeoTechland; and more. Are those toxic people ? On Youtube I can find women sucking on banannas in an effort to promote their Onlyfans accounts. Not to mention that these days I find the likes of CNN; MSNBC; and many other media outlets that Youtube has no problem with to be quite toxic.
Liam Dawe Jan 23, 2021
We're no longer using LBRY and no plans to return to it, closing.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.