Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Dirt Rally on Wayland doesn't go fullscreen
Linas Oct 28, 2020
I decided to experiment a bit with Wayland on my gaming machine. To my surprise, the experience is pretty positive. Most games work just fine, and some even feel smoother.

However Dirt Rally refuses to go fullscreen. Changing the resolution only seems to affect the rendering resolution, but it still displays in a window that fills about 80% of the screen. Even when it is set to the same resolution as the screen. Fullscreen on or off regardless.

Has anyone seen this? Any ideas how to fix it?

This is on GNOME.
This topic has an answer marked - jump to answer.
whizse Oct 28, 2020
There was some workarounds added to xwayland for fullscreen games, but I'm not sure if it's at all related to this one. Unless you're running an oldish version of GNOME you probably already have it:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/-/merge_requests/739

Possibly running the game in windowed mode and toggling windowed fullscreen mode in GNOME (bind a key in the settings) is worth a shot?
minfaer Oct 29, 2020
Have You tried using gamescope? It is basically a nested compositor just for the game that sometimes fixes things. In steam, it is a simple launch option

gamescope -- %command%

Last edited by minfaer on 29 October 2020 at 9:23 am UTC
Linas Oct 29, 2020
Quoting: whizsePossibly running the game in windowed mode and toggling windowed fullscreen mode in GNOME (bind a key in the settings) is worth a shot?
I honestly did not know of this shortcut before. And I pride myself of being a GNOME fanboy. Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Quoting: minfaerHave You tried using gamescope?
No I have not, but by the looks of it, it could be exactly what i need. I'll definitely check it out.

I think I'll be keeping Wayland for now. There's so much cool stuff to explore.
Linas Oct 31, 2020
Wow, gamescope worked like a charm! Did exactly what I needed.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.