Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Assassin's Creed Valhalla
Page: «2/5»
  Go to:
TuxThePenguin Nov 24, 2020
Quoting: rustybroomhandleAC:V works with the newest wine-tkg. Running directly from Ubisoft Connect. May possibly need to compile the latest VKD3D-Proton, but I believe that wine-tkg includes that. I had some initial performance issues, but disabled vkd3d logging and now it runs pretty well.

I tried the wine and proton versions here

https://github.com/Frogging-Family/wine-tkg-git

Building from source with no joy, did you set any specific options?
rustybroomhandle Nov 24, 2020
Quoting: TuxThePenguin
Quoting: rustybroomhandleAC:V works with the newest wine-tkg. Running directly from Ubisoft Connect. May possibly need to compile the latest VKD3D-Proton, but I believe that wine-tkg includes that. I had some initial performance issues, but disabled vkd3d logging and now it runs pretty well.

I tried the wine and proton versions here

https://github.com/Frogging-Family/wine-tkg-git

Building from source with no joy, did you set any specific options?

Nothing special, just:

WINEDEBUG=-all WINEFSYNC=0 WINEESYNC=1 VKD3D_DEBUG=none VKD3D_SHADER_DEBUG=none WINEPREFIX=bla wine64 bla/UbisoftConnect.exe

Using the newest version currently on the tkg releases page.

I also compiled vkd3d-proton from source and copied the d3d12.dll to the ACV folder.

I did see some mention that this might not currently work with AMD, just NVidia (455 non-beta driver)
TuxThePenguin Nov 24, 2020
Will give that a try
Ofca Nov 25, 2020
I can confirm that it indeed works! :)

Thanks for the tip @rustybroomhandle
Last step, compiling fresh vkd3d-proton and copying 64-bit version manually to ACV directory was mandatory and after that it started working.

Good luck @TuxThePenguin - it can be done, at least on Nvidia.
Ofca Nov 25, 2020
...although after playing a bit, some kind of timings seem to be off. The game plays slow. It's not frame rate, just everything seems slow compared to Windows on Geforce Now; did you notice anything similar?
rustybroomhandle Nov 25, 2020
Quoting: Ofca...although after playing a bit, some kind of timings seem to be off. The game plays slow. It's not frame rate, just everything seems slow compared to Windows on Geforce Now; did you notice anything similar?

Not sure. I did have something like this while vkd3d had logging enabled, but not since disabling that. It was not playable on Windows here because for some reason animations were glitching out, getting stuck in T-poses etc.
Ofca Nov 25, 2020
I did have some debugging enabled, but turning it off didn't improve things. Oh well. I'll wait for few days for things to settle and if it persists, I'll give it a deeper look.
TuxThePenguin Nov 25, 2020
Got it working using lutris

wine-tkg-staging-fsync-git-5.22.r2.g0ae73155-309-x86_64
vkd3d-proton git - build: 22794c67a4442af
NVidia Drivers 455.46.02

set the version of wine in lutris , disabled "dxvk/vkd3d" option in lutris so it will use the native one. and set it to use d3d12.dll native in winecfg

Tried it enough to benchmark high 50fps with my setup on medium/high settings. Will try actually playing it tonight.

Last edited by TuxThePenguin on 25 November 2020 at 4:07 pm UTC
TuxThePenguin Nov 26, 2020
Unfortunately after some testing benchmark works great, but crashes out when starting a game
Ofca Nov 27, 2020
Interesting. I've read the same report on reddit. Could you try beginning your game on geforce now (it can be done for free), and then attempt loading a save of a game already in progress on your local box?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.