Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Does anyone here use their graphics card to mine cryptocurrency?
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
nattydread Nov 27, 2020
I'm thinking about setting my Radeon VII to mine some crypto-coin now that winters here and I need to warm my house up.

Have any of you superb and clever people managed to mine from your graphics cards?
CatKiller Nov 27, 2020
Protein folding would be a better use of your resources. GoL even has a team.
nattydread Nov 27, 2020
Hi Catkiller,

Yes I agree, I already run folding at home on my xeon workstation using the CPUs.
I didn't know about the GOL team though, I shall join it.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by nattydread on 27 November 2020 at 12:44 pm UTC
dr_jekyll Nov 27, 2020
For everyone reading this:

It should be obvious, but think about the climate crisis we are in and avoid such completely unnecessary non-sense such as cryptocurrency mining.
Turn of the computers when all (rather) useful stuff is done.
denyasis Nov 27, 2020
I'd also add that the return on any mining with consumer hardware is rather low. Yeah, you'll get part of a coin that may appreciate over time, but you likely spent more money in electricity to generate it.
nattydread Nov 28, 2020
Quoting: dr_jekyllFor everyone reading this:

It should be obvious, but think about the climate crisis we are in and avoid such completely unnecessary non-sense such as cryptocurrency mining.

Yes that's a very good point.
However the, waste heat goes to heating the house,
whereas otherwise I would be burning wood or gas to keep warm.

Last edited by nattydread on 28 November 2020 at 1:13 am UTC
furaxhornyx Nov 28, 2020
Quoting: nattydread
Quoting: dr_jekyllFor everyone reading this:

Yes that's a very good point.
However the, waste heat goes to heating the house,

I think the problem is the production and distribution of the required electrical power (coal ? nuclear ? etc), not the heat dissipation of the computer components.
dr_jekyll Nov 28, 2020
Quoting: nattydreadHowever the, waste heat goes to heating the house,

1. In summer this logic doesn't apply, it's the opposite.
2. Many people still have manual or inaccurate thermostats, so the heating system will not adjust (=waste of more energy).
3. Many people use servers(/computers) (for crypto-mining) that run either in some serverfarm or in rooms in the house that don't need heating (like rooms in the basement or the attic).

Quoting: furaxhornyxI think the problem is the production and distribution of the required electrical power (coal ? nuclear ? etc), not the heat dissipation of the computer components.

That is also an additional point.
If you use gas for heating for example, it is already much better than energy produced out of coal.
And there are of course even better energy systems: heat pumps (uses heat from the ground), solar-heated water-systems etc.

Also there is always a loss when energy needs to be transported.

Last edited by dr_jekyll on 28 November 2020 at 4:11 pm UTC
nattydread Nov 29, 2020
Quoting: HamishI also happened to find out about this the other day:
https://ioquake3.org/2019/06/13/ioquake3-security-notice-06-13-19-test-builds-possibly-compromised/

Oh that's very naughty.
Koopacabras Nov 29, 2020
I'm sorry to disagree with most people here, I understand that most gamers hate cryptos, but here the currency is worth nothing because of inflation and there's a lot of use of cryptocurrency. So I don't have such a negative opinion of cryptos. It can be a powerful tool in countries with weak currency....But I understand why lots of people hate them.
I also have used cryptos for buying games, I hope valve gives the option again for paying in bitcoin it was very useful.
For example for buying a game in the steam store I have to pay 65% of taxes, that seems absurd and robbery, that's why for me sometimes paying in cryptos makes sense, even if the game is tagged more expensive in cryptos.
Stablecoins like Tether are ideal for countries like mine having economy fluctuations.

Last edited by Koopacabras on 29 November 2020 at 1:00 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.