Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Reaching out to CDPR (Vulkan, Cyberpunk 2077)
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Linuxwarper Dec 13, 2020
I've said it many times that I don't believe that one percent market share is enough to expect native releases from developers like CDPR. However, I think it is within reason that we should ask for CDPR to make Vulkan available for Cyberpunk on Steam.
QuoteAug 21, 2018
DRM-free approach in games has been at the heart of GOG.COM from day one. We strongly believe that if you buy a game, it should be yours, and you can play it the way it’s convenient for you, and not how others want you to use it.
The landscape has changed since 2008, and today many people don’t realize what DRM even means. And still the DRM issue in games remains – you’re never sure when and why you can be blocked from accessing them. And it’s not only games that are affected, but your favourite books, music, movies and apps as well.
To help understand what DRM means, how it influences your games and other digital media, and what benefits come with DRM-free approach, we’re launching the FCK DRM initiative. The goal is to educate people and ignite a discussion about DRM. To learn more visit https://fckdrm.com, and share your opinions and stories about DRM and how it affects you.
The FCK DRM initiative

We want to play Cyberpunk on Linux. Microsoft wants the game to be played on their platform, which opposes us. D3D12 also hinders performance as seen in Mango's benchmark. With game being developed for Stadia, outsourced, perhaps we can get Vulkan for Steam. Here is GOG community wish for Cyberpunk to use Vulkan. This is likely to end in nothing happening, but if CDPR listens at least perhaps they decide to use or include Vulkan for their next projects.

EDIT:
Here is also Wishes for Cyberpunk on Linux. That's a hefty number!

Last edited by Linuxwarper on 13 December 2020 at 5:33 pm UTC
damarrin Dec 13, 2020
Remember, be nice. Threats and insults do not work.

Also, I'm sure MS is very active with CDP making sure they are aware the only worthwhile platform is Win.
Linuxwarper Dec 13, 2020
Is anyone good at video editing? A short video showing how well Vulkan games run (clips can be found from Mango's channel) versus D3D games with quotes from FCK DRM Iniative and how D3D limits gaming on Linux similar to a DRM. With ending of video saying something along lines of "I play on Linux, please help make your game run better with Vulkan". As I said, this effort may bear no fruit but it could influence CDPR devs to consider Vulkan for future projects (Witcher sequel). The video can then be sent to CDPR on social medias with links to GOG wishlist.
mylka Dec 14, 2020
Quoting: LinuxwarperI've said it many times that I don't believe that one percent market share is enough to expect native releases from developers like CDPR.

actually the big games are the ones where 1% is a lot
cdpr sold around 2-3mio cyberpunk copies on steam. even if just 1% would have bought it on linux its still 30.000 copies times 60€ = 1,8mio
now the question is: how much does a linux port cost?

and then you have Amnesia: Rebirth
sold around 100k times... 1% linux is 1000 copies on linux times 25€
they made 25000€ with this game on linux
of cource its a smaller game, easier to port, but i think youll get where i want to go with all this

the sad thing is.... AMNESIA has to pay the full 30% to valve, while cdpr DID NOTHING FOR LINUX, but they sell this game to linux user and since they made more than 50mio $ already valve just takes 20%

i dont get it why valve doesnt gives a discount for multi platform games

anyway... back to topic... i think cdpr has enough to do with fixing bugs and optimize the game, so they dont have the manpower for a new API
Liam Dawe Dec 14, 2020
Since the Stadia release was made by a different company and CDPR are busy enough fixing up the masses of issues, don't expect it to happen.
Guppy Dec 14, 2020
Quoting: LinuxwarperEDIT:
Here is also Wishes for Cyberpunk on Linux. That's a hefty number!

I wouldn't get your hopes up tbh.

The witcher 3 for linux has ~13k votes, being the single most voted for witcher topic by a factor of ~5 and as far as I know CDPR hasn't even addressed it.

They are as a company not exactly linux friendly

But then I guess this current CPU & GPU shortage has been good for something - I wanted to upgrade my old system to play this game, having briefly forgotten that linux support ( even through wine/proton ) is not a given.
CatKiller Dec 14, 2020
Quoting: GuppyThe witcher 3 for linux has ~13k votes, being the single most voted for witcher topic by a factor of ~5 and as far as I know CDPR hasn't even addressed it.

Well, they did address it... by mocking anyone that wanted to use their products on Linux.

Still, that's far from the only stupid, offensive, or stupidly offensive thing they've done.
x_wing Dec 14, 2020
Quoting: LinuxwarperIs anyone good at video editing? A short video showing how well Vulkan games run (clips can be found from Mango's channel) versus D3D games with quotes from FCK DRM Iniative and how D3D limits gaming on Linux similar to a DRM. With ending of video saying something along lines of "I play on Linux, please help make your game run better with Vulkan". As I said, this effort may bear no fruit but it could influence CDPR devs to consider Vulkan for future projects (Witcher sequel). The video can then be sent to CDPR on social medias with links to GOG wishlist.

They are fully aware of the Linux requests, not long ago they mocked a little bit the community requests on twitter. I even remember that some time ago some dev came and explained how the economics of a release worked for them and I almost sure that this guy was related to CDPR or GOG.

We already did everything we could. Keep begging won't change anything, not to mention that with all the problems they have with the game, working on a Linux release is just a no go.
wvstolzing Dec 14, 2020
Speaking of 'market share' — it's kind of ironic worrying about our miniscule market share as a barrier to reaching cdpr, right as we're seeing how they treat their most populous category of customers ('previous gen' console players): by selling them a game that they *knew* wouldn't run properly on those devices.
Linuxwarper Dec 15, 2020
I think you lot are being to pessimistic. I have seen the twitter bannter between CDP Group social media accounts. I can't say I got the impression they were being malicious with their comments.

GOG complains about Cyberpunk gameplay being wished for.
Cyber says they are driving force of Linux Galaxy support
GOG reverses Cyber's charge, asking for Linux support for the game

I think it's bad they never released Witcher 3 for Linux. But I don't think it will help Linux platform or CDPR being part of the platform if we keep grudges. Witcher 3 was their biggest success. Prior to it, their games was not as popular. So I think that W3 was them cementing themselves as major developers in the industry. They did that with softwares that many developers on Windows does, D3D and such. With Cyberpunk they stated raytracing was a key reason they went with D3D12.

Yes, they have alot of issues with Cyberpunk but I don't think they will go off the D3D trail if we don't express to them that we love their games and would like to play on Linux. As I said, they might never make Vulkan available for Cyberpunk, the news of it being outsourced for Stadia lessened chances of that, but what about their future project(s)? Perhaps our voices will be heard for them?

Quoting: wvstolzingSpeaking of 'market share' — it's kind of ironic worrying about our miniscule market share as a barrier to reaching cdpr, right as we're seeing how they treat their most populous category of customers ('previous gen' console players): by selling them a game that they *knew* wouldn't run properly on those devices.
They seem to have adressed that issue quite well if you ask me, giving out refunds.
Quoting: x_wingWe already did everything we could. Keep begging won't change anything, not to mention that with all the problems they have with the game, working on a Linux release is just a no go.
I don't intend to beg, but simply ask. One of reasons I like Proton is because I don't want to beg for ports that will never come.

Last edited by Linuxwarper on 15 December 2020 at 12:53 am UTC
x_wing Dec 15, 2020
Quoting: LinuxwarperI don't intend to beg, but simply ask. One of reasons I like Proton is because I don't want to beg for ports that will never come.

As I said, CDPR and GOG seems to be very aware of the community asking for support. But once again, we're talking about the same company that decided to use DX12 instead of Vulkan for their engine (even though they give support to Win 7). It's not about being pessimistic, it's about the fact that we are completely out of their plans for today and the near future.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.