Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
SOLVED: Rendering Problems with Steam games on Ryzen 3/Vega 3 system
doolinius Dec 22, 2020
My System Info

Linux Distribution: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Desktop Environment: Ubuntu
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon Vega 3
GPU Driver Version: amdgpu as part of Linux Kernel (See Pastebin)

Have you checked for system updates?: [Yes/No]

Yes. This is a fresh install of Ubuntu 20.04 LTS with all updates applied.

If this is to do with Steam, please add your system read-out from Steam -> Help -> System Information (please put that into Pastebin/Gist as linked above!): https://pastebin.com/JjGhfKGz

You can note your issue below here

Some games launch fine in Steam, but have rendering issues. So far, Hollow Knight has had both font and graphics rendering problems. Stardew Valley has a garbled font, and Apotheon has something similar to Hollow Knight.

Someone else on the Stardew Valley site reported a similar problem with similar hardware, and didn't seem to get a solution: https://forums.stardewvalley.net/threads/bug-font-rendering-issue-on-linux.2537/

Other games run perfectly fine, such as Streets of Rage 4, Axiom Verge and even Fire Pro Wrestling World, a Windows game that runs using Steam Play/Proton.

Stardew Valley looks perfectly fine on a Debian 10 install on my old i5 laptop.

Note any particular steps to reproduce it below here

All I did was download the game through Steam and launch it.

Last edited by doolinius on 22 December 2020 at 10:44 pm UTC
This topic has an answer marked - jump to answer.
tuxintuxedo Dec 22, 2020
The first thing I would suggest is a newer kernel (at least 5.8) and using Kisak's Mesa ppa. These two can really make a difference with Zen hardware. Because you seem to have only rendering related issues, I think the Mesa ppa is enough for now.
doolinius Dec 22, 2020
Quoting: tuxintuxedoThe first thing I would suggest is a newer kernel (at least 5.8) and using Kisak's Mesa ppa. These two can really make a difference with Zen hardware. Because you seem to have only rendering related issues, I think the Mesa ppa is enough for now.

Updating Mesa to the Kisak PPA fixed everything. Thanks!
towroon Dec 27, 2020
Thanks for going through the hoops, was going mad over this issue because a previous fix I found on pro-essay-writer.com has stopped working recently. Guess it's time to update then!

Last edited by towroon on 30 December 2020 at 5:37 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.