You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Gaming on Linux for Kids
Page: «8/12»
  Go to:
Eike Feb 22, 2023
What you should not play with your little kids, despite it looking all sweet and stuff: Beyond The Edge Of Owlsgard. I didn't intend to tell my children why there's loads of
Spoiler, click me
bones streaming to a bone mill
and show them how we
Spoiler, click me
throw a bomb at the semi-electronical evil super brain
in the end or how
Spoiler, click me
the protagonist dies
if we're missing one certain thing.

Other than that, a good point and click, although I didn't like the voice-overs too much (neither German nor English).
ShabbyX Feb 25, 2023
Overcooked 2 is what's captivating my 5.75 and 3.5 year-olds these days.

Sometimes they really try (the older one that is), sometimes they just want to be mischiefs (jump in the water, throw the food in the trash can, start fires and put them out etc) which is also fun :D
Chuckaluphagus Feb 25, 2023
Quoting: ShabbyXOvercooked 2 is what's captivating my 5.75 and 3.5 year-olds these days.

Sometimes they really try (the older one that is), sometimes they just want to be mischiefs (jump in the water, throw the food in the trash can, start fires and put them out etc) which is also fun :D
We haven't even gotten to 2 yet, we're still on the original, but yes. My kids, plus friends if we have them over, running around the screen and screaming happily about everything. It's hard on the ears, but they love it.
denyasis May 31, 2023
Some what tangential to the conversation, I know it was touched on a little bit a few pages back, but I saw this article while browsing. While a bunch of our conversation here has been on younger kids and games that aren't necessarily online MP, they had some interesting insights especially concerning online play.

Worried about your kids' video gaming? Explore their online worlds yourself

I did chuckle at the part where they mentioned how online gaming behavior can translate into real world behavior. The sheer number of memes I hear little kids shouting while playing tag is hilarious 🤣😂🤣😂

Last edited by denyasis on 31 May 2023 at 10:38 pm UTC
redman Aug 1, 2023
Hi,
I just take out an old pc that I have for my 10 year old kid (the poor laptop that she had decide that surviving the pandemic was enough and the motherboard kaput).

The thing is that after installing AntiX (It had linux mint 13) and I need a 386 distro I find that there is a lot of games on this thread that will not run....

For now I have
- Fceux
- Scummvm
- Dosbox (civilization)

My next step is running some casual games with wine (Burger shop and Plant vs Zombies)

$ neofetch 
       _,met$$$$$gg.          kid@falcon 
    ,g$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$P.       ------------ 
  ,g$$P"     """Y$$.".        OS: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye) i686 
 ,$$P'              `$$$.     Kernel: 4.9.0-326-antix.1-486-smp 
',$$P       ,ggs.     `$$b:   Uptime: 58 secs 
`d$$'     ,$P"'   .    $$$    Packages: 1619 (dpkg) 
 $$P      d$'     ,    $$P    Shell: bash 5.1.4 
 $$:      $$.   -    ,d$$'    Resolution: 1920x1080 
 $$;      Y$b._   _,d$P'      Terminal: /dev/pts/0 
 Y$$.    `.`"Y$$$$P"'         CPU: AMD Sempron 145 (1) @ 2.800GHz 
 `$$b      "-.__              GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a 
  `Y$$                        Memory: 78MiB / 3027MiB 
   `Y$$.
     `$$b.                                            
       `Y$$b.                                         
          `"Y$b._
              `"""

Any suggestion on really low resources games ?
Eike Aug 1, 2023
Quoting: redmanAny suggestion on really low resources games ?

A Short Hike maybe?
The Putt-Putt adventures, if she's not feeling too old for that?
CatKiller Aug 1, 2023
Quoting: redmanI need a 386 distro

Sempron 145 is AMD64.
Pengling Aug 1, 2023
Given that you've listed FCEUX, I would also suggest adding Snes9x as well if it's available, since the SNES also had a lot of superb games which should run just fine on the hardware that you're working with.
redman Aug 1, 2023
Quoting: CatKiller
Quoting: redmanI need a 386 distro

Sempron 145 is AMD64.

It's true but is only one core, it run better on 386. Apart that I only have 4gb of RAM, so no real advantage.
redman Aug 1, 2023
Quoting: Pengling
Given that you've listed FCEUX, I would also suggest adding Snes9x as well if it's available, since the SNES also had a lot of superb games which should run just fine on the hardware that you're working with.

I'll try! I'm really use to Higan and bones that are monsters of resources I completely forgot of snes9x
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.