Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Mad Max and Shadow of Mordor Linux versions gone.
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
RedBatman Jan 1, 2021
Quoting: tuubi
Quoting: RedBatmanSigh tried downloading Shadow of Mordor and No dice its the windows version.
I'm not going to download the whole game, but looks like it starts to install the Linux version for me. What happens if you pick the linux_vulkan_beta from game properties? Or force the Steam Linux Runtime? Maybe this is happening because you've played it with Proton previously?

Well there shouldn't be no issue. I downloaded Xcom 2 last night and it was the Linux version.
Liam Dawe Jan 1, 2021
Quoting: RedBatman
Quoting: tuubi
Quoting: RedBatmanSigh tried downloading Shadow of Mordor and No dice its the windows version.
I'm not going to download the whole game, but looks like it starts to install the Linux version for me. What happens if you pick the linux_vulkan_beta from game properties? Or force the Steam Linux Runtime? Maybe this is happening because you've played it with Proton previously?

Well there shouldn't be no issue. I downloaded Xcom 2 last night and it was the Linux version.
Right click -> compatibility -> select Steam Linux Runtime. That will force the Linux version to download and it basically resets the settings for the game. It's odd but it works when Steam sometimes messes up on things. As I said in my other post, no content was touched, only the store page references.
RedBatman Jan 1, 2021
Quoting: Liam Dawepage

Okay I'll give it a shot
Liam Dawe Jan 1, 2021
I have both downloading right now, both clearly the Linux builds when looking in the downloads folder. So the issue is definitely your end on downloading Windows files by mistake (likely Steam Play Proton settings, as mentioned already).
RedBatman Jan 1, 2021
Quoting: Liam DaweI have both downloading right now, both clearly the Linux builds when looking in the downloads folder. So the issue is definitely your end on downloading Windows files by mistake (likely Steam Play Proton settings, as mentioned already).

That worked but now the issue is that When I launch the game it looks like it launches but no picture just my desktop screen and I will hear sound so I have to stop the game and relaunch again and then it shows a picture. This happens like every time I have to launch then cancel it and launch in again for it to work.
Liam Dawe Jan 1, 2021
Well that's an entirely different and unrelated issue that would need tech support on.

Edit: probably some sort of compositor issue. I remember I saw it with their port of Company of Heroes 2, turns out it really didn't like the MATE marco compositor. Took me ages to figure out.

Last edited by Liam Dawe on 1 January 2021 at 11:14 pm UTC
denyasis Jan 2, 2021
I noticed that there are warnings for the games that "online functionality" and "certain features" will be disabled by the end of 2020. I would be suspecting they are ending support for the games in general.

So, if you already own it, your still allowed to download the Linux version. That very nice of them. I would hope it's the same if you decide to purchase it?

I've had both in my wishlists for ages. I'm thinking I missed the boat a bit.

Last edited by denyasis on 2 January 2021 at 12:21 am UTC
BlackBloodRum Jan 2, 2021
Perhaps could also be a copyright/licensing thing? The game studios have a license from WB to use the Mad Max brand and such.

Sometimes a license is issued for a set period of time. A good example of this is codemasters, once their license expires for the vehicles they remove the games from sale, but the game still exists on steam as it was before - only the store page cannot be accessed. Thus only customers who purchased prior to that can play the game.

Either that, or it's some kind of a reshuffle? Either way, the Linux builds appear to still be up.

Hopefully we can get some kind of official statement to find out what's going on.
tuubi Jan 2, 2021
Quoting: denyasisSo, if you already own it, your still allowed to download the Linux version. That very nice of them. I would hope it's the same if you decide to purchase it?

If you buy the game, I don't think there's any reason you couldn't download the Linux version. The only difference is that Feral is probably not going to receive any of your cash as they're not listed as a publisher on the store page. Unless this is just a temporary mistake.
CatKiller Jan 2, 2021
They've gone from the Feral website, too, both the Linux and OS X versions, so it seems like the contract with WB has run out.

Lego Batman and Lego Harry Potter have also gone from Feral's website, but Lego DC Super Villains hasn't, for whatever reason.

Last edited by CatKiller on 2 January 2021 at 10:49 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.