Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Forza Horizon alternatives for Linux
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
marcin1509 Jan 16, 2021
Hi guys,
I'm coming today with the question or interesting thing to discuss.
Suggest any ideas for alternative for Forza Horizon to play on Linux.
What do you suggest?
Unfortunately forza is windows-tied and will never be on steam on whatever other platform. I love this game, but have to play that on Windows :)
Any ideas are welcome :) Discuss and share some opinions and suggestions :)

Thank you in advance!
14 Jan 17, 2021
The Dirt and F1 games are the only ones somewhat comparable. They're both pretty good.

According to ProtonDB, one of the Burnout games should work. I have not played a Burnout game in many years, but I remember the original ones being a blast.

EDIT: I guess that Burnout game was removed from Steam. It's also apparently 11 years old. Ha. Oops.

Last edited by 14 on 17 January 2021 at 8:45 am UTC
Jared Jan 17, 2021
Dirt 4 and Dirt Rally have native Linux ports.
Xpander Jan 17, 2021
Forza Horizon is Arcade game right? more like older NFS games?

Well Grid Autosport might be somewhat similar there. Native also.

I play more of a simulation games myself, but protondb should show what works, i hear Project Cars 3 is now quaite arcadish compared to previous games that were more on the simulation side
Dunc Jan 18, 2021
Quoting: XpanderWell Grid Autosport might be somewhat similar there. Native also.

I play more of a simulation games myself, but protondb should show what works, i hear Project Cars 3 is now quaite arcadish compared to previous games that were more on the simulation side
Grid Autosport is the most “realistic” of the Grid games, but it's still pretty arcade-y. I've always defended it with the line, “It is a sim, just not a very good one”. That said, I played the heck out of it when it came out on Linux (even though I've since bought Project Cars 1 & 2 and Assetto Corsa, it's still my third most-played Steam game). Definitely worth your time.

But Forza Horizon's “thing” is the open world. I'm not sure there's anything like that on Steam at all, with the possible exception of Burnout Paradise and, as 14 says, the original has been removed. The Remastered edition doesn't work with Proton.

The next Test Drive Unlimited - the series which I'm certain “inspired” Horizon - will apparently be on Steam, but the first two aren't. And it doesn't have a release date yet. So... yeah. From what I've heard, PC3 is probably a good call; the closest you'll get, at any rate.
Xpander Jan 18, 2021
Quoting: Dunc
Quoting: XpanderWell Grid Autosport might be somewhat similar there. Native also.

Grid Autosport is the most “realistic” of the Grid games, but it's still pretty arcade-y. I've always defended it with the line, “It is a sim, just not a very good one”. That said, I played the heck out of it when it came out on Linux (even though I've since bought Project Cars 1 & 2 and Assetto Corsa, it's still my third most-played Steam game). Definitely worth your time.
I played lots of Grid Autosport also when it came out :) Its not too bad. its arcade-y but not full arcademode.
But yeah Project Cars 2, Assetto Corsa, Dirt Rally 2.0 and the likes are more my thing anyway.
Ehvis Jan 18, 2021
Quoting: DuncBut Forza Horizon's “thing” is the open world. I'm not sure there's anything like that on Steam at all, ...

Doesn't The Crew do somethin similar? From what I remember, those two games are on Steam and work with Proton.
tuubi Jan 18, 2021
A couple of coworkers were a bit obsessed with the game a while back, and to me it seemed like the big hook for them (in addition to the open world) were daily and weekly challenges with special cars as rewards. And of course the fact that the game was "free-to-play" for Xbox Game Pass subscribers. I base this impression on a couple of short conversations and few minutes of watching one of them stream, so I might be mistaken.
marcin1509 Jan 18, 2021
Quoting: Ehvis
Quoting: DuncBut Forza Horizon's “thing” is the open world. I'm not sure there's anything like that on Steam at all, ...

Doesn't The Crew do somethin similar? From what I remember, those two games are on Steam and work with Proton.

Yeah, The Crew... very nice. But unfortunately I haven't Steam version, I have The Crew and The Crew 2 on Uplay and the second on Epic too. I've read on protodb that TC2 doesn't work.

On Steam I have only Dirts (Dirt 4 and two Dirt Rally's) and GRIDs ( GRID, GRID 2 i GRID Autosport).
TDU2 I have in non-steam version.
Those are games with no open world, unfortunately.
I will have to settle down with Dirts and Grids :)
Dunc Jan 20, 2021
Quoting: Ehvis

I'd forgotten about The Crew. Good call.
mrdeathjr Jan 21, 2021
hi

only come to my mind is test drive unlimited series (open world, car dealers, houses and other things*)

personally is of my favorite car arcade games

While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.