Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Platinum rated Proton games won't run on Pop!_OS
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
HellsBells24 Jan 20, 2021
My System Info

Linux Distribution: Pop!_OS
Desktop Environment: GNOME
Graphics Card: Nvidia RTX 2070 Super (Founders)
GPU Driver Version: 455.38

Have you checked for system updates?: [Yes]

Gist

You can note your issue below here

I recently loaded Pop!_OS onto a gaming PC I built with the intent of running DVDs and everything that can be run on Proton on the Linux side, and Blurays and games that won't play nice on the Windows side. Since under taking this project, I've run into issues with two games that I've successfully run on previous Linux boxes and are classified Platinum by ProtonDB.

Wolfenstein 3D is the lesser of the two; it runs when Steam is not in Big Picture mode, but crashes upon "Press Any Key" if it is in Big Picture mode. I'm rarely out of BPM, and this issue does not seem to occur with other DOSBox games from iD Software, so if a fix is out there I'd love to hear it but it's not the end of the world if there isn't.

My bigger issue is Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare (the original), which upon launch attempts First Time Setup, bringing up some sort of Punkbuster dialogue that subsequently fails, followed by a pop up reading "Application Load Error (0x02)." I've tried different Proton versions, validating content, uninstalling, reinstalling, even booting Windows, installing there, and then moving the files over to my Linux partition, all of which have failed to successfully launch the game

Note any particular steps to reproduce it below here
Simply attempting to run either game results in the described issues (I did attempt to run CoD4 outside of BPM after my Wolf3d discovery, to no avail).

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided!
HellsBells24 Jan 22, 2021
Quoting: GuestFor Wolfenstein 3D why dont you use a Source Port? Runs better and its Native.

https://wolf3d.net/ecwolf/

Well that solves ONE problem!

My thinking was since Ultimate Doom/Doom II/Final Doom are whitelisted games that run via DOSBox, Wolf3d would run without issue. Obviously this was not the case and I've set a launch command to run ECWolf whenever I play Wolf3d. Runs fine, can run some mods as well, only thing is it seems to slow a tad when I pick something up.

Hopefully a solution presents for CoD!
Jared Jan 22, 2021
I am going to ask a dumb question but have you enabled Steam Play for all games? Also what is your hardware configuration? The game might be using your integraged card as opposed to your dedicated one; which can be fixed via optimus or by using Prime.
Linas Jan 22, 2021
Hi there, welcome.

You could you try running Steam from a terminal, and see if it outputs any useful information when you attempt to start the game. Try running the game with different Proton versions. And verify integrity of the game files (in the properties dialog) just in case something got borked and needs to be re-downloaded.

Also just to be sure that your graphics setup is correct, have you confirmed that native games, such as Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, work?
Quoting: JaredI am going to ask a dumb question but have you enabled Steam Play for all games? Also what is your hardware configuration? The game might be using your integraged card as opposed to your dedicated one; which can be fixed via optimus or by using Prime.

Steam Play is enabled for all my games. My processor is an i5-9400F, meaning that there are no integrated graphics to use.
Quoting: LinasHi there, welcome.

You could you try running Steam from a terminal, and see if it outputs any useful information when you attempt to start the game. Try running the game with different Proton versions. And verify integrity of the game files (in the properties dialog) just in case something got borked and needs to be re-downloaded.

Also just to be sure that your graphics setup is correct, have you confirmed that native games, such as Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, work?

Unfortunately running from a terminal was one of the first things I tried, but there was no useful output once Steam opened. Ran a few different Proton versions and verified integrity too, to no avail.

Strafe, Quake II RTX, Bioshock Infinite, and Shadow of War run on my machine without issue.
Arehandoro Jan 22, 2021
Does it work if you launch, or even install, the game via Lutris?
Quoting: ArehandoroDoes it work if you launch, or even install, the game via Lutris?

At the risk of sounding stupid, Lutris confuses me.
I have it installed, my Steam, GoG, and Humble Bundle info is all there. I went to the website and insisted that I wanted to install via Steam. When I did this for Doom 3 BFG, it installed on Steam exactly as any other game would, on the hard drive I have set aside for Linux games, and can be launched from steam. When I attempted CoD just now, a new steam instance popped up over my existing one, and asked if I wanted to install the game on drive "C:\," which obviously doesn't exist on a Linux box. So yeah, not sure how to go forward there. Also, my preference would be to get this working under Proton since I have before.
Schattenspiegel Jan 23, 2021
If a Lutris installer indicates 'Steam' it means it uses the native steam version. If it indicates 'Steam (Windows)' it will use the Windows version of Steam via Wine. Since Wine tries to behave like Windows it also offers 'drive C:\' to applications which is located in the wine prefix folder. 'drive Z:\' normally is the fastest way to get back to navigating your Linux file system for a different installation directory.

Last edited by Schattenspiegel on 23 January 2021 at 1:26 am UTC
HellsBells24 Jan 23, 2021
OK that makes sense I guess. I did some additional experimentation last night: deleting the PB folder from the Call of Duty 4 folder skips the Punkbuster installation failure, however, I get the same Application Error indicated above when attempting to launch (tried with all available Proton versions).
It looks like there is a report of this happening on Pop!_OS on ProtonDB. I'm starting to wonder if I just have to accept that MW used to work on Linux but no longer does. Puzzling, but I suppose it's one of those things.
HellsBells24 Jan 23, 2021
https://gist.github.com/HellsBells24/ad03bb3d5bb626d1a8b01adaf4686252

Another gist, generated by running "PROTON_LOG=1 %command%" launch option. Anything in here that could be helpful?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.