Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Witcher 3 - storyline alternatives
naegling23 Mar 8, 2021
I just started the final blood and wine expansion to the witcher 3. This is another alternative X to Y thread, however, mine is a little different. Currently my wife has really enjoyed watching me play and is dissapointed that the game is about to end. Gameplay wise, kingdoms of amalur fills that niche, but my wife is looking for a better story. Any suggestions for story heavy games? Would something like bioshock work? I guess the genre doesnt matter. I was thinking of giving transistor a shot since I bought it for like a dollar years ago and never got around to it. Linux native is preferred, but proton gold games are fine too, and my kids also own a switch I could steal. The only limitation is that it needs to be a couch game played with a controller.
dvd Mar 8, 2021
Well there are some story only games, like Life is strange 1-2, Dreamfall: Chapters. the downside to dreamfalls is that the previous episodes are windows only and quite old i think.
naegling23 Mar 8, 2021
doesnt have to be story only, but something with an engaging story.
razing32 Mar 8, 2021
The Skyirm mod Enderall is something I've been recommending for a while to most of my friends.
If you can get it to run with a controller you should be good. Story is very engaging.
Pangaea Mar 9, 2021
You mentioned Bioshock, and this is a good game for this purpose. It has an excellent story and is easy to get engaged in. Quite combat heavy, but then the Witcher 3 sort of is too.

Another game that I think would work, is the first Mafia game. Fantastic story. Like the Witcher 3 many years later, it has a cinematic approach to its storytelling, which worked well. Lovely music too, while driving around the city.
naegling23 Mar 9, 2021
wow, mafia, I played that back in the day before the GTA series (except of course for 1 and 2) came to pc. You are right, great storyline and neat atmosphere. Do you think if I dug up my old copy I could get a gamepad to work with it? I was thinking the max payne games would be interesting as well. I was also thinking about the deus ex mankind or even mass effect.
Pangaea Mar 9, 2021
I don't know if it works with gamepad as I've only played it on PC, but maybe? Great story, tho. I played through it several times back in the day, and the ending always had me in quite a state...

The first Mass Effect could be a good shout too, true. The second and third was crap in my view, but I loved the first one. The car-thingy seemed to have springs sticking out of it in all directions, but it sure made driving around quite interesting :D (and it was always fun trying to get to the top of the most impossible climbs on various planets). Good memories.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.