Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
"Your PC information hasn't been updated in a few months - be sure to keep it up to date! "
Page: «6/8»
  Go to:
Dorrit Apr 24, 2021
Quoting: The_AquabatJust received my new 27inch monitor!!
Just checked some photos from that monitor, very sober
Makes a refreshing change from the ubiquitous gaming aesthetics
Koopacabras Apr 24, 2021
Quoting: Dorrit
Quoting: The_AquabatJust received my new 27inch monitor!!
Just checked some photos from that monitor, very sober
Makes a refreshing change from the ubiquitous gaming aesthetics
gaming aesthetics got broken when they started doing curved monitors :P
the viewing angle of humans the way the eyes are close to each other is enough for a flat monitor... curved monitors.. are really fit for fishes or horses.

Not into that not my taste, so much rgb makes me mad! if I wanted my room to look like a dance floor I might just as well hang a disco ball on the ceiling :P
besides RGB wastes electricity not very ecological.

Last edited by Koopacabras on 24 April 2021 at 11:53 pm UTC
slaapliedje Apr 26, 2021
Quoting: The_AquabatJust received my new 27inch monitor!! yeah baby I'm on 1440p now 😎😎
It's 60hz, but I'm gladly impressed with the quality of it ... it has a sturdy metal stand, and very heavy, (all of it up to where it clamps the panel) so it doesn't swing around at all, rest of it is plastic but with a very nice metalic colour. Also the stand rotates in all directions.
Just tried Valheim and at very high settings it can barely do around 50fps at 1440p, so buying a 144hz was not worth it, imho (I have 5600xt gpu), besides I'm not into competitive FPS.

I leave a link to where a bought it, in case someone from Argentina is reading this and is interested, good seller, +rep.
I have a couple Dell monitors I bought a few years ago that were 1440p and 144hz with G-Sync... and I liked them a lot until they started randomly displaying weird.. dust? That's about the only way I can describe it. You know how the Etch-A-Sketch worked? And you'd shake it and the powder or whatever the hell was inside the thing would cover up where you wiped it away? The effect kind of reminded me of that...
Csokis Apr 29, 2021
New system after 8.5 years! I'm very happy!

Intel i7-3770 + 16GB RAM -> AMD Ryzen 7 5800X + 32GB RAM
slaapliedje Apr 29, 2021
Quoting: CsokisNew system after 8.5 years! I'm very happy!

Nice! Ha, been looking at a listing on amazon for a prebuilt computer, so I can get my hands on a 3080... and it comes with a random brand..., random x570 motherboard, and a Ryzen 7 5800x... but from the reviews of them gluing cabling... kind of shying away from that! Over the years I have learned to always buy ASUS motherboards, as I always regret it when I don't!
denyasis 8 years Apr 29, 2021
Quoting: CsokisNew system after 8.5 years! I'm very happy!

Very nice! Sounds be good to like 2030 now right? Lol!
Koopacabras Apr 30, 2021
congrats Csokis!!!

I'm planning maybe in a few months to buy a new mobo just to be ready when silicon shortage is over, and prices go down to buy a Ryzen 5600, is there any specific reason to choose a B550 over a B450? I mean this is the endline for Ryzen on AM4, is there other advantage other than better VRMs? the top of the line of the B450 have very decent VRMs, quite frankly I don't see any advantage.
yeah ok, sure, the price difference is just a dozen of dollars maybe, but I see no point.

Last edited by Koopacabras on 30 April 2021 at 2:29 am UTC
slaapliedje Apr 30, 2021
Ugh, bit the bullet and bought a pre-built system. Not sure how I feel about the AIOs, and the RGB garbage, but it has a 3080 and 5900x in it...
HerrLange May 1, 2021
Quoting: The_Aquabatcongrats Csokis!!!

I'm planning maybe in a few months to buy a new mobo just to be ready when silicon shortage is over, and prices go down to buy a Ryzen 5600, is there any specific reason to choose a B550 over a B450? I mean this is the endline for Ryzen on AM4, is there other advantage other than better VRMs? the top of the line of the B450 have very decent VRMs, quite frankly I don't see any advantage.
yeah ok, sure, the price difference is just a dozen of dollars maybe, but I see no point.

All I have heard so far indicates the situation is not improving this year except if the crypto bullshit would crash. So if this is the only reason to wait, I would strongly recommend to just wait until you can buy all parts at once. DDR5 and new sockets is about to come next year.

If you cannot wait I would suggest to try to get an APU. I guess you do not have a powerfull spare PCIE gfx card. The Ryzen 5700G would be the thing you wanna have here. And just buy the gfx card later. I would take the B550 because of more recent BIOS and therefore probably better Ryzen 5xxx compatibility. Also it has PCIE gen4.
Koopacabras May 1, 2021
Quoting: HerrLangeAll I have heard so far indicates the situation is not improving this year except if the crypto bullshit would crash. So if this is the only reason to wait, I would strongly recommend to just wait until you can buy all parts at once. DDR5 and new sockets is about to come next year.

yep that's my feeling too and Nvidia just said that it will not improve this year, ( read it on wfcc tech ). But motherboard prices seem fine for now... I fear that suddenly mobo prices will start rising too . After all they still use a chipset, right?
Also watch out for hard drive prices... because they are releasing cryptos that rent your hard drive space like CHIA coin
Also I don't know what it has to do with cryptos... but it seems there is a monitor shortage as well, at least it's very noticeable here, not sure how it looks in other countries.
btw It's for my main PC I will just swap the mobo and put the 5600 XT again np, I feel very lucky having a 5600 XT these days. I've seen them up to 1k usd on ebay. and I bought it for 300 usd.

Last edited by Koopacabras on 1 May 2021 at 9:34 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.