Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
"Your PC information hasn't been updated in a few months - be sure to keep it up to date! "
Page: «7/8»
  Go to:
slaapliedje May 1, 2021
I finally broke down and bought a 3080 with accessories (accessories being a Ryzen 9 5800x, 32gb of ddr4 ram, an annoying RGB case, and keyboard / mouse, and mitherboard, etc...)
Still only a slight markup from buying just the video card...
denyasis May 4, 2021
Quoting: The_Aquabatmonitor shortage as well, at least it's very noticeable here, not sure how it looks in other countries.

I know there is a general "chip" shortage here, affecting some non tech things (like car factories in my area). I imagine that doesn't help us either. I fear the universe is against us mortals upgrading our PCs.

Congrats slaapliedje! Sounds like nice accessories!

Last edited by denyasis on 4 May 2021 at 11:31 pm UTC
slaapliedje May 5, 2021
Quoting: denyasis
Quoting: The_Aquabatmonitor shortage as well, at least it's very noticeable here, not sure how it looks in other countries.

I know there is a general "chip" shortage here, affecting some non tech things (like car factories in my area). I imagine that doesn't help us either. I fear the universe is against us mortals upgrading our PCs.

Congrats slaapliedje! Sounds like nice accessories!
Thanks! I still want to know some things...

1) Why do cases insist on removing 5.25" bays so we can no longer mount optical drives... yet motherboard manufacturers still include a PS/2 port...

2) RGB... why?? My computer sits under my desk on my left side... even if my case had a see through window (the one that it came with did, along with RGB fans all up the front) I couldn't say 'ooh the colors!' because it's facing away from me anyhow...

3) Let's all use AIO and water cooling, even though it's been shown that if you get a good enough cooler (like the awesome Noctua one I had in my old set up) it's both quieter (the fans barely ever even kicked on) and looks cooler (sure no colors, but nothing speaks awesome like a giant chunk of metal in your case! Also makes you not want to keep messing around inside, as the potential for cuts and scrapes is higher! It protects from tinkerers...

4) how much bigger does my RAM need to be, just so it has RGB lighting that I'll never see??

Ha, funny thing is, for the longest time I thought the only real benefit to going water cooled was the silence, but this AIO block has a wobbly fan or something, so I'm either going to replace the fans (already ordered some) or will end up buying another HSF from Noctua to replace it as it irritates me and I DGIAF about RGB.
denyasis May 5, 2021
Quoting: slaapliedjeThanks! I still want to know some things...

1) Pure hate.
2) Agreed. I hear they attract teens like crows to foil though! (Lol, sorry teens)
3) my notuca might wanna fight on that one. It gets hot....I can feel it on the outside of the case!

I think it's an airflow issue, but in an ITX case, I can only add so many fans cause that HSF is huge!!
slaapliedje May 6, 2021
Quoting: denyasis
Quoting: slaapliedjeThanks! I still want to know some things...

1) Pure hate.
2) Agreed. I hear they attract teens like crows to foil though! (Lol, sorry teens)
3) my notuca might wanna fight on that one. It gets hot....I can feel it on the outside of the case!

I think it's an airflow issue, but in an ITX case, I can only add so many fans cause that HSF is huge!!
Ha, ITX sure seems to be the key letters there.
I tend to have front fans, back fans and the HSF fans. Good for pulling air through your case. And hopefully you face them all the same way so you don't screw up the flow.
furaxhornyx May 6, 2021
Quoting: slaapliedje1) Why do cases insist on removing 5.25" bays so we can no longer mount optical drives... yet motherboard manufacturers still include a PS/2 port...

When I upgraded, I wanted to change my case too, but I faced the same problem with no 5.25" bay accessible from the front... So I'm keeping my old, very heavy case for now.

However, when choosing my new motherboard, I didn't thought about the PS/2 port, thinking "well, all manufacturers will include one anyway"... Unfortunately, it didn't, so I had to bought an adapter for my full-NKRO mechanical keyboard, turning it into a 6KRO only... so yeah, there is still a point to having a PS/2 port
slaapliedje May 6, 2021
Quoting: furaxhornyx
Quoting: slaapliedje1) Why do cases insist on removing 5.25" bays so we can no longer mount optical drives... yet motherboard manufacturers still include a PS/2 port...

When I upgraded, I wanted to change my case too, but I faced the same problem with no 5.25" bay accessible from the front... So I'm keeping my old, very heavy case for now.

However, when choosing my new motherboard, I didn't thought about the PS/2 port, thinking "well, all manufacturers will include one anyway"... Unfortunately, it didn't, so I had to bought an adapter for my full-NKRO mechanical keyboard, turning it into a 6KRO only... so yeah, there is still a point to having a PS/2 port
I can highly recommend the Fractal Design cases. I have an R6 and love it. Have the proper bluray drive in it so it can read PS3 discs.

Huh, most of the mechanical keyboards I have seen are USB. May look into getting a PS/2 one for my old p3 or Atari PC4 to play with... (no, damnit, I already have way too many keyboards!)
furaxhornyx May 7, 2021
Quoting: slaapliedjeI can highly recommend the Fractal Design cases. I have an R6 and love it. Have the proper bluray drive in it so it can read PS3 discs.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will have a look at these

Quoting: slaapliedjeHuh, most of the mechanical keyboards I have seen are USB. May look into getting a PS/2 one for my old p3 or Atari PC4 to play with... (no, damnit, I already have way too many keyboards!)

Mine is a QPAD MK-50 (black cherry MX), with no RGB, and full NKEY rollover (but only on PS/2 port though). I also customized the switches on some key, like clicky blue switches for F1-F12 and numbers below, and lighter red switches for modifiers, so that my fingers don't hurt when crouching / sprinting for a long time
denyasis May 8, 2021
Quoting: slaapliedjeI can highly recommend the Fractal Design cases. I have an R6 and love it. Have the proper bluray drive in it so it can read PS3 discs

I must concur here. I have a Fractal Design (nano or something like that, I'm bad with names). It's a very well thought out case. Very nice to build in and looks sharp. It's big for an ITX, almost mATX size, yet only space for one 60mm rear exhaust fan...
denyasis May 8, 2021
Quoting: furaxhornyxMine is a QPAD MK-50 (black cherry MX), with no RGB, and full NKEY rollover (but only on PS/2 port though).

This keyboard sounds nice. I'm literally walking up to my office to see if I have a PS2 port because of your post.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.