You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Getting Metro Exodus to run on Linux Mint 19
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Dysomnia Apr 18, 2021
Hi all,

when I try to launch Metro Exodus I get an error message telling me that my libc version is too old for the game to run (Is: 2.27 - should be: >2.29). With libc being an integral component of linux I can't just force upgrade to a newer version, unless I really want to completely trash my system.

Since I'm very happy with my current setup I'm not planning to upgrade to a newer linux until mid next year, and if I can't get the game to run with this version, well, then it'll sit idle in my library for a bit, not a big deal.

I'm still trying to figure out if it's possible, either with a localized install of libc >2.29 exclusively for Metro to use, or, if possible, just fool the game into assuming that I have the correct version installed, since I don't think Metro actually needs this version to run and it just checks because the binary was built with it.

Not sure if any of this is actually possible, but if anyone has an idea, appreciated
This topic has an answer marked - jump to answer.
Avehicle7887 Apr 18, 2021
It is possible to use a newer libc without upgrading your system, I've been doing so for a few games since I'm still running Debian 9 myself (hello from 2017).

You can try my self-compiled library of GLIBC 2.29 (don't delete the other files in the folder, you might need them too) - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o1kOPiVazvNxKQ6jaRBc3bVhrxjLhCO2

Try passing the - LD_PRELOAD="/path/to/libc-2.29.so" to force the game to use that instead of the default system one.

If you still get stuck please post the terminal log here
dpanter Apr 18, 2021
Update your systems people... seriously. You have no valid reasons for a gaming machine to stay in the past.
damarrin Apr 18, 2021
On the one hand I can't disagree, but on the other Mint is supported for 5 years for a reason. Ubuntu 18.04 seems like ancient history, but it's been released just 3 years ago. Win10 will be 6 years old this summer and it runs all the latest games just fine.
Xpander Apr 18, 2021
Quoting: damarrinOn the one hand I can't disagree, but on the other Mint is supported for 5 years for a reason. Ubuntu 18.04 seems like ancient history, but it's been released just 3 years ago. Win10 will be 6 years old this summer and it runs all the latest games just fine.

It might be supported for 5 years but gaming is moving target on linux. having outdated drivers and other libraries makes it just awful.
Liam Dawe Apr 18, 2021
Gaming often depends on newer drivers, kernel features and so on. Sticking with a years old LTS just doesn't cut it.
tuxintuxedo Apr 18, 2021
As it was already mentioned, you either use a self compiled library or entirely change your system. Can't do much else.
Lately a similar error occurred in Surviving Mars, with the new update, because people at Paradox used a newer compiler and now it won't work on "old systems", even if they are among the officially supported ones. But this is entirely their fault and hopefully they fix it soon. Your case is most likely not an accident, but deliberate.
damarrin: Win10 is a wrong example, as it is continuously updated with new "packages". If it cannot do that, then some programs already complain that "your Win10 version is too old". So we actually have multiple Win10 operating systems (quite a few at that), not simply a 6 year old one.

Last edited by tuxintuxedo on 18 April 2021 at 3:44 pm UTC
Avehicle7887 Apr 18, 2021
Quoting: tuxintuxedoLately a similar error occurred in Surviving Mars, with the new update, because people at Paradox used a newer compiler and now it won't work on "old systems", even if they are among the officially supported ones. But this is entirely their fault and hopefully they fix it soon. Your case is most likely not an accident, but deliberate.

Well you peeked my interest, I haven't played the game in a while but merely downloaded the latest GOG installers for offline keeping.

I found the following thread: https://steamcommunity.com/app/464920/discussions/0/3168820451548416725/

Seems like another case of GLIBC. I'll look into it for those that have the issue.

EDIT: Yep, confirmed giving GLIBC error.

EDIT 2: Got it running too.

In case anyone is running into the issue and wants to give it a shot, download the package I uploaded above for the OP. Run the game with LD_PRELOAD="/path/to/libm.so.6" (as shown in screenshot).

Last edited by Avehicle7887 on 18 April 2021 at 6:25 pm UTC
Liam Dawe Apr 18, 2021
Quoting: damarrinWin10 will be 6 years old this summer and it runs all the latest games just fine.
Windows 10 is now a rolling release, that's constantly updated and you're expected to be up to date on it now too as more and more games look for / only support x version number. Gaming just needs newer packages, which for Linux means more up to date distributions - both for Proton and Native.
Rooster Apr 19, 2021
How is upgrading to newer version on Ubuntu-based distros these days? Last time I did it was from Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04 and it didn't go well, many programs broken, many just straight up didn't install. That's why I switched to Arch based distros for gaming.
Dysomnia Apr 19, 2021
Quoting: Avehicle7887It is possible to use a newer libc without upgrading your system, I've been doing so for a few games since I'm still running Debian 9 myself (hello from 2017).

You can try my self-compiled library of GLIBC 2.29 (don't delete the other files in the folder, you might need them too) - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o1kOPiVazvNxKQ6jaRBc3bVhrxjLhCO2

Try passing the - LD_PRELOAD="/path/to/libc-2.29.so" to force the game to use that instead of the default system one.

If you still get stuck please post the terminal log here
Well that was a lot easier than I expected - I'm still experiencing some instability issues similar to what others have reported, but in general, I can play the game and it's running surprisingly smooth even on high / ultra settings.

Case closed, thanks a lot!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.