Getting Metro Exodus to run on Linux Mint 19
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
Redface Apr 20, 2021
Quoting: Liam Dawe
Quoting: damarrinWin10 will be 6 years old this summer and it runs all the latest games just fine.
Windows 10 is now a rolling release, that's constantly updated and you're expected to be up to date on it now too as more and more games look for / only support x version number. Gaming just needs newer packages, which for Linux means more up to date distributions - both for Proton and Native.

Windows 10 is not a rolling distribution like we use rolling in the Linux world. It has half yearly release upgrades, so its more like Ubuntu or Fedora than Arch.

They even used year and month number versioning until recently, with 1909, 2004 (released in May 2020 though) but now its changed to 20H2 and the next will be called 21H1 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_version_history
Redface Apr 20, 2021
Quoting: RoosterHow is upgrading to newer version on Ubuntu-based distros these days? Last time I did it was from Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04 and it didn't go well, many programs broken, many just straight up didn't install. That's why I switched to Arch based distros for gaming.

I have used Ubuntu since the first release and upgraded some systems half yearly, and others every second year and never had one fail so that I had to reinstall.

There have been some problems, but checking on those showed that it either was due to stupid misconfigurations on my part, or PPAs that I have added. And I always was able to get through the upgrade once I found the problem.

It has been years since I ran into any problem due to release upgrades, its about keeping a well maintained system, and knowing which PPAs can cause problems.

Use ppa-purge on the problematic PPAs, or just any if in doubt. This will uninstall packages from the PPA and where available install the versions from the Ubuntu repositories.
Liam Dawe Apr 20, 2021
Quoting: RedfaceWindows 10 is not a rolling distribution like we use rolling in the Linux world. It has half yearly release upgrades, so its more like Ubuntu or Fedora than Arch.
Ehhh this feels like focusing on tiny details. The point is there's no Windows 11, 12, 13 etc. People are just expected to keep upgrading now.
Rooster Apr 20, 2021
Quoting: Redface
Quoting: RoosterHow is upgrading to newer version on Ubuntu-based distros these days? Last time I did it was from Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04 and it didn't go well, many programs broken, many just straight up didn't install. That's why I switched to Arch based distros for gaming.

I have used Ubuntu since the first release and upgraded some systems half yearly, and others every second year and never had one fail so that I had to reinstall.

There have been some problems, but checking on those showed that it either was due to stupid misconfigurations on my part, or PPAs that I have added. And I always was able to get through the upgrade once I found the problem.

It has been years since I ran into any problem due to release upgrades, its about keeping a well maintained system, and knowing which PPAs can cause problems.

Use ppa-purge on the problematic PPAs, or just any if in doubt. This will uninstall packages from the PPA and where available install the versions from the Ubuntu repositories.

Thanks, that could have been it. I was very new to Linux at that point so it wouldn't surprise me if my PPAs were a mess.
dpanter Apr 21, 2021
For those who get instant crashing, Metro Exodus runs for me (Debian sid/AMDGPU Mesa RADV/6900XT) when using the Soldier SLR instead of Scout SLR. Find the correct path on your system for the run-in-soldier script and edit this example path accordingly. Good luck!

........../SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime_soldier/run-in-soldier %command%
Mannyrue Apr 21, 2021
Not sure what kernals you are using, But I use Popos, And have Xanmod as my kernals so my drives are often updated!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.