Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Linux Hardware reviews?
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
slaapliedje Apr 26, 2021
Curious, does anyone know of a good site for Linux Hardware reviews? Or perhaps specifically Linux Gaming Hardware reviews? Would be cool to get the occasional one here. I was recently looking for a good headset, specifically one that was wireless. Bluetooth on Linux is still pretty crap in this regard, where I can get audio, but then the mic doesn't work, and the audio is trash (on my Sony WH-1000X M3, which are otherwise amazing).

But I think some reviews with support, configuration software, etc would be pretty sweet.
I ended up ordering the Logitech G935 headset, so when it shows up, I'll do a mini-review here. But it looks like it's supported via HeadSetControl https://github.com/Sapd/HeadsetControl
whizse Apr 26, 2021
Phoronix is the only one that springs to mind. (Or at least they did some hardware reviews in the past, I stopped reading them long ago).

Anyhow, mini-reviews from a Linux perspective are always appreciated!
Koopacabras Apr 27, 2021
last december I bought a havit mouse, because there's a linux utility https://github.com/pbludov/hv-ms735-config/ and I was expecting it to work on Linux, but I had no luck with this model... probably it could work but it would require some hacking skills for this specific model, mine is a MS997GT.
Just mentioning this because maybe someone would like to buy it and they are really cheap and have a decent quality, and the hacking to make them work is 80% done... I suck hacking devices but maybe there is someone knowledgeable here willing to spend some time to make them work. HAVIT is the brand, not very well known across linux users.

(I mean the device works, it's just the programmable interface and RGB programmable stuff that doesn't)

Last edited by Koopacabras on 27 April 2021 at 3:58 am UTC
Laboratoryo_ni_Neil Apr 27, 2021
Level1Techs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CV086BRZQI

Edit:
Sorry, I didn't read carefully. You're looking specifically for gaming hardware. I don't think there is one that covers lots of gaming device.

Gear Seekers includes Linux testing in their graphics card reviews.

Last edited by Laboratoryo_ni_Neil on 27 April 2021 at 5:26 am UTC
CatKiller Apr 27, 2021
The problem is that you need a really big scale to make it work: lots of hardware reviewed very often, which is very expensive. Even outlets that cater to the largest gaming market struggle to cover their costs.

You might be able to encourage an existing review outlet to also include Linux tests in the other tests that they're doing, which makes it a marginal additional cost over what they're already doing rather than trying to fund the whole thing from a Linux market. A lot is going to depend on how sympathetic to the idea they naturally are. Ars Technica test Linux (and the BSDs) on the stuff that passes through there since the person that took over on hardware reviews is a network guy and is comfortable with it. I understand that Linus Tech Tips started doing some Linux coverage because one of that team was comfortable with Linux. So that's a way that it could happen.

Otherwise, for existing stuff, Phoronix does benchmarks (just don't read the comments!) and sites that cater to Linux-friendly topics (like small computers) will sometimes give details ofthe hardware they're using with Linux, but it's not really comprehensive coverage.
slaapliedje Apr 27, 2021
Quoting: CatKillerThe problem is that you need a really big scale to make it work: lots of hardware reviewed very often, which is very expensive. Even outlets that cater to the largest gaming market struggle to cover their costs.

You might be able to encourage an existing review outlet to also include Linux tests in the other tests that they're doing, which makes it a marginal additional cost over what they're already doing rather than trying to fund the whole thing from a Linux market. A lot is going to depend on how sympathetic to the idea they naturally are. Ars Technica test Linux (and the BSDs) on the stuff that passes through there since the person that took over on hardware reviews is a network guy and is comfortable with it. I understand that Linus Tech Tips started doing some Linux coverage because one of that team was comfortable with Linux. So that's a way that it could happen.

Otherwise, for existing stuff, Phoronix does benchmarks (just don't read the comments!) and sites that cater to Linux-friendly topics (like small computers) will sometimes give details ofthe hardware they're using with Linux, but it's not really comprehensive coverage.
Yeah, I was thinking Anthony over at LTT should really start doing them. They started an Apple channel, they should do a Linux one.
no_information_here Apr 27, 2021
Quoting: CatKillerArs Technica test Linux (and the BSDs) on the stuff that passes through there since the person that took over on hardware reviews is a network guy and is comfortable with it.
Yes, Jim Salter at Ars does some excellent linux stuff, but is much more enterprise oriented, rather than enthusiast oriented. He occasionally reviews laptops and home networking stuff, though.

The Ars game journalists (Kyle Orland and Sam Machkovech) are good folks, but clueless (to faintly hostile) about linux.

Last edited by no_information_here on 27 April 2021 at 5:04 pm UTC
slaapliedje Apr 27, 2021
Quoting: no_information_here
Quoting: CatKillerArs Technica test Linux (and the BSDs) on the stuff that passes through there since the person that took over on hardware reviews is a network guy and is comfortable with it.
Yes, Jim Salter at Ars does some excellent linux stuff, but is much more enterprise oriented, rather than enthusiast oriented. He occasionally reviews laptops and home networking stuff, though.

The Ars game journalists (Kyle Orland and Sam Machkovech) are good folks, but clueless (to faintly hostile) about linux.
Yeah, I think it'd be sweet if Liam or others working on GamingOnLinux could do hardware reviews. Maybe see if they can get some hardware sponsors to send them some gear or something.

I should be getting my headphones today, I'll try doing a review of them tonight. Though my ears aren't what they used to be :P
minfaer Apr 29, 2021
There is indeed a lack of websites for Linux testing, but I don't think Liam has the resources to test anything but what he buys for personal/GoL use anyway. It's probably more realistic to find somebody in the community who tried it.

For the Bluetooth headsets, don't expect too much, the problem is in pulse audio. There was a guy working for two years on getting this fixed, but in the end things got sour between him and the maintainers, and now it looks like pulse audio will never really support bidirectional hq audio, better go for pipewire directly, which has support for it.

The conflict is actually a good negative example of how free software collaboration can fail for non-technical reasons, and how a CoC team can be the nail in the coffin in a conflict.
Liam Dawe Apr 29, 2021
Quoting: minfaerThere is indeed a lack of websites for Linux testing, but I don't think Liam has the resources to test anything but what he buys for personal/GoL use anyway. It's probably more realistic to find somebody in the community who tried it.
Yeah this exactly. We don't have the funding for extra personal purchases, and most hardware companies ignore us. Plus, to actually make hardware reviews worthwhile they need a lot of detail that takes time away from everything else (and might end up having very little views when published) - it's a very difficult balancing act for one person.
slaapliedje Apr 29, 2021
Quoting: minfaerThere is indeed a lack of websites for Linux testing, but I don't think Liam has the resources to test anything but what he buys for personal/GoL use anyway. It's probably more realistic to find somebody in the community who tried it.

For the Bluetooth headsets, don't expect too much, the problem is in pulse audio. There was a guy working for two years on getting this fixed, but in the end things got sour between him and the maintainers, and now it looks like pulse audio will never really support bidirectional hq audio, better go for pipewire directly, which has support for it.

The conflict is actually a good negative example of how free software collaboration can fail for non-technical reasons, and how a CoC team can be the nail in the coffin in a conflict.
Ah, the CoC... creating toxicity by calling out that people are toxic when they really are not...

But let's not get into THAT conversation again...

That does explain why pulse's BT support is garbage. I'll try it with pipewire, I think it's floating around in the Debian sid repos. But on the flip side, I did get my Logitech G935, which seems to work just fine in Linux! They don't sound as good as my Sony WH-1000MX X3, nor are they as comfortable. Also no noise canceling goodness.

But they do have a cool Mic where you can just push it in and flip it up and it'll turn the mic off. I haven't tried getting the RGB lighting working yet, but then that is seriously the most useless feature on a headset I've ever seen...
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.