Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Linux Hardware reviews?
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
Nanobang Apr 29, 2021
Quoting: Liam DaweI also really need to do some upgrading, I'm constantly out of disk space due to having so many games installed. Want to replace my older plain HDDs with some nice SSDs eventually :)

Really though, I think my next true upgrade will be moving from my ridiculously overpriced Intel CPU to a modern AMD CPU.
I'd been on Intel since the '90s (Pentium II baby!) and switched to a Ryzen 9 3900X in February 2020 and haven't looked back since. It outperforms its Intel counterpart for waaayyy less moneyz.

Drive-wise, I'd urge you to look at the hybrid drives. Not as fast as a pure SSD, they are less expensive and faster than a standard HDD. I moved my OS to a little 128 GB SSD and my games to their own 2TB Seagate Firecuda last year. I noticed a definite difference.
slaapliedje Apr 29, 2021
Quoting: Nanobang
Quoting: Liam DaweI also really need to do some upgrading, I'm constantly out of disk space due to having so many games installed. Want to replace my older plain HDDs with some nice SSDs eventually :)

Really though, I think my next true upgrade will be moving from my ridiculously overpriced Intel CPU to a modern AMD CPU.
I'd been on Intel since the '90s (Pentium II baby!) and switched to a Ryzen 9 3900X in February 2020 and haven't looked back since. It outperforms its Intel counterpart for waaayyy less moneyz.

Drive-wise, I'd urge you to look at the hybrid drives. Not as fast as a pure SSD, they are less expensive and faster than a standard HDD. I moved my OS to a little 128 GB SSD and my games to their own 2TB Seagate Firecuda last year. I noticed a definite difference.
For drives, it depends on what your use case is. Like I play a lot of emulation, which you don't need snappy drive speed when the floppy disk images are 90kb... So those go on a standard HDD. But for the OS, I'd highly recommend PCIe nVMEs. Linux LOVES them. I run my Thinkpad P52 on Pop_OS! with striped nVME drives, and it is absolutely sick fast.
minfaer Apr 29, 2021
Quoting: slaapliedjeAh, the CoC... creating toxicity by calling out that people are toxic when they really are not...

But let's not get into THAT conversation again...

That does explain why pulse's BT support is garbage. I'll try it with pipewire, I think it's floating around in the Debian sid repos. But on the flip side, I did get my Logitech G935, which seems to work just fine in Linux! They don't sound as good as my Sony WH-1000MX X3, nor are they as comfortable. Also no noise canceling goodness.

But they do have a cool Mic where you can just push it in and flip it up and it'll turn the mic off. I haven't tried getting the RGB lighting working yet, but then that is seriously the most useless feature on a headset I've ever seen...

Well, to be fair, the problem is not just with pulse, the actual bluetooth protocols for HSP/HFP are also garbage, mixing all different kinds of functionality and different osi layers.
But for the Sony 1000XM3 headphones on PipeWire specifically, Arch wiki sais enabling mSBC fixes the mic.
I have them as well, but just switched to Fedora 34 with PipeWire today and not tried that yet...
slaapliedje Apr 29, 2021
Quoting: minfaer
Quoting: slaapliedjeAh, the CoC... creating toxicity by calling out that people are toxic when they really are not...

That does explain why pulse's BT support is garbage. I'll try it with pipewire, I think it's floating around in the Debian sid repos. But on the flip side, I did get my Logitech G935, which seems to work just fine in Linux! They don't sound as good as my Sony WH-1000MX X3, nor are they as comfortable. Also no noise canceling goodness.

But they do have a cool Mic where you can just push it in and flip it up and it'll turn the mic off. I haven't tried getting the RGB lighting working yet, but then that is seriously the most useless feature on a headset I've ever seen...

Well, to be fair, the problem is not just with pulse, the actual bluetooth protocols for HSP/HFP are also garbage, mixing all different kinds of functionality and different osi layers.
But for the Sony 1000XM3 headphones on PipeWire specifically, Arch wiki sais enabling mSBC fixes the mic.
I have them as well, but just switched to Fedora 34 with PipeWire today and not tried that yet...
Interesting, I will have to give that a shot later.
On a different note: I am hating Gnome 40. The new layout mames sense on a taller screen like a tablet / phone, but makes less sense when you have a horizontally wide as hell screen. The hot corner is useless now. I did find an extension wgich is trying to make it more like 3.38. Will have to test it when I have time.
Played with Enlightenment on Arch last night. It is still a hot mess...
minfaer Apr 29, 2021
Quoting: slaapliedje

On a different note: I am hating Gnome 40. The new layout mames sense on a taller screen like a tablet / phone, but makes less sense when you have a horizontally wide as hell screen. The hot corner is useless now. I did find an extension wgich is trying to make it more like 3.38. Will have to test it when I have time.

Yeah, gnome... I really don't understand why so many people insist on taskbars wasting space in their screens, when I personally found Gnome 3's concept far superior, and always loved gnome for it, but I can't (and dont want to) argue taste...
I like many of the new design details of Gnome 40, but the bottom dash and especially the horizontal workspaces are indeed horrible, mostly because they break logic with multiple monitors next to each other. Installed vertical overview extension straight away, and it's really nice, now I like gnome 40 - as long as it's stable with the extension .

The funny thing is, the Gnome devs wrote this design has been rated best in several usability studies. My guess is that these usability studies are mostly performed with college students in the US and other western countries, where lots of ppl are using MacOS and subconsciously find anything that is closer to what they know already more "intuitive"...

Last edited by minfaer on 29 April 2021 at 9:07 pm UTC
slaapliedje Apr 29, 2021
Quoting: slaapliedje

Yeah, gnome... I really don't understand why so many people insist on taskbars wasting space in their screens, when I personally found Gnome 3's concept far superior, and always loved gnome for it, but I can't (and dont want to) argue taste...
I like many of the new design details of Gnome 40, but the bottom dash and especially the horizontal workspaces are indeed horrible, mostly because they break logic with multiple monitors next to each other. Installed vertical overview extension straight away, and it's really nice, now I like gnome 40 - as long as it's stable with the extension .

The funny thing is, the Gnome devs wrote this design has been rated best in several usability studies. My guess is that these usability studies are mostly performed with college students in the US and other western countries, where lots of ppl are using MacOS and subconsciously find anything that is closer to what they know already more "intuitive"...
Why can't I double like this post?
Multi monitor setups aren't the only place it doesn't work well. That is a huge amount of travel between 'Activities' and the dock at the bottom, always made intuitive sense to me to have it on the left and auto-hidden. I don't need to see the running tasks until I need to see the running tasks. And as I now have a physical 'need' to flip the mouse into the upper left corner at times, it is terribly irritating that they broke muscle memory.

The choice in making giant workspaces instead of the old thumbnails on the workspaces (like practically all other implementations) is rather odd to me. It makes sense on a touch screen tablet/phone, but less on a mouse driven system.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.