Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Lags on the GoL MC Server
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
Liam Dawe Mar 26, 2014
The server host has said we need the package with 2GB RAM, it is just over double the price we pay now and I imagine it will be the same on other hosts since our world is massive now.

So, I need to decide what to do as I don't really want to shell out that much money.
killx_den Mar 26, 2014
Well but right now nobody plays on the server so it runs for nothing :/
Before you, reset the server or anything, do you think you can send me the map or give me a link where I can download it, if that is possible for you. That way I could still enjoy my buildings in single player mode. I would hate it to lose that nice castle ^^
Liam Dawe Mar 26, 2014
I've made the control panel start a backup, will see how big it is.
killx_den Mar 26, 2014
Ok thank you :)
Liam Dawe Mar 26, 2014
Okay it is 1.2GB uploading now, so if anyone wants it they can DL it, time to start a new world!
SteamPenguin Mar 26, 2014
Definitely going to download it when available. Might be best to have a discussion about the new world. Maybe put some limits in place to prevent lag or change what type of world it is, to get more interest. Maybe consider a creative server, not redstone as it causes lag sadly, a creative building server would be cool though, where people could claim plots. That way with plots it would be a lot easier to control the world size. Or a survival world with a bedrock wall around, kind of like what they do for Mindcrack UHC, just a bit bigger map and no UHC rules. Competitions maybe organized a bit better than the last, admittedly partly my fault, would also attract more attention. Im sure there is a few of us that are always giving away spare game keys anyway. I would suggest a modded server, as they are very popular but again mods cause lag. Anyway if we talk this through enough to prevent lag and gain some new members,I will definitely be on a lot again. Biggest problem was communication, I was always trying to say hi to new people and ask if they need help but they just kept to themselves. Then they would get lost looking around spawn and give up not long after. Spawn NEEDS to be more organized if it will be a survival server again, also maybe restricted who can build there, making it so each building has a purpose at spawn. I would also love if we tried to build a lot of stuff themed around Linux games :D I think that could gain interest too.
Liam Dawe Mar 27, 2014
Well due to the size i'm having problems uploading the file, so downloads of the old world will need to wait.

I am considering getting a server for a different game, one I am actually interesting enough to play with everyone.

What other games do you guys play that you would play with us?
killx_den Mar 27, 2014
I am not a MOBA fan as you might remember ^^ but I play pretty much everything else. I really like fast paced FPS games, but would be also okay with tactical FPS games :)

To name some games I would like to play on a GoL server:

- Rust
- TF2
- CSS (maybe CSS soon)
- HL2 DM
- Painkiller
- Legend of Dungeon (not sure if this needs a server)
- Hammerwatch (not sure if this needs a server)
- Natural Selection 2
- Left 4 Dead 2

Can't think of more right now, need to check my steam library at home :P
Liam Dawe Mar 27, 2014
Well we can easily do things like TF2 as they are cheap. TF2 on multiplay can be swapped with other source games anytime too so I may look at that then.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.