Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
KDE Appreciation Thread
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
Quoting: Liam DaweThe only current problem I see is that after exporting an image in GIMP, the taskbar freezes for 1-2 seconds.

Strange. I am also on Nvidia, but only a light Gimp user. Do you have more detail as to what triggers the pause or is it any export? I just tried png -> jpg and it was instant.
nightspaladin Aug 10, 2021
Quoting: kokoko3k
Quoting: nightspaladinThat said, I'm running Manjaro (Arch derivative) and have had basically zero issues with KDE for the last 3-4 years. (I've literally been "rolling" since late 2017/early 2018.) Now if they move beyond "plasma" into the next major release, I'll certainly expect problems then, but otherwise, aside from UX changes that are somewhat jarring at first, it's been smooth as butter for me.

There are tons of reported bugs on their bugtracker, and no one touched you 'enough'.
I wish I was as lucky as you.

I suppose I am. It may also be because I'm running a System76 Oryx Pro from circa 2017-ish with "older" hardware and disabled Intel graphics (Nvidia only).

I also disable a lot of the "fancy" stuff like animations in KDE. I don't care much about having "cool" stuff vs. having a solid working desktop setup. I do use the compositor, but it hasn't really been too much of a problem after I stopped using OpenGL and just stuck with ancient but fairly solid XRender. OpenGL definitely gave me more fits, even if it's supposed to be better.

Quoting: Liam DaweI've finally begun to really enjoy KDE Plasma myself now, seems most of my previous issues are gone.

The only current problem I see is that after exporting an image in GIMP, the taskbar freezes for 1-2 seconds. I often export, then hit the firefox icon to then upload the image but it catches me out and i often end up doing an extra frustration click that then opens and minimizes firefox <_<

I'm going to assume it's another edge-case of KWin+NVIDIA.

Strange, I'm not a heavy user of GIMP, but I haven't had terrible experiences with it in KDE. Granted, I'm not exporting and immediately trying to do something else with it. One of the great things about Linux being so customizable is that not only do you make it "your own", but your problems also become "your own". :D

Quoting: damarrinI get a taskbar freeze when switching back from another user. For me it lasts some 5-10 seconds, but then it’s a much slower machine.

That's one part I've definitely had oddities with, but when I get something for nothing, I can't really complain all that much. I don't do it on my personal laptop, but when I was using Linux on my work laptop, I'd swap between "work" user and "personal" users using multi-X sessions and it would be problematic switching between them.
Liam Dawe Aug 10, 2021
Quoting: no_information_here
Quoting: Liam DaweThe only current problem I see is that after exporting an image in GIMP, the taskbar freezes for 1-2 seconds.

Strange. I am also on Nvidia, but only a light Gimp user. Do you have more detail as to what triggers the pause or is it any export? I just tried png -> jpg and it was instant.
Been trying to reproduce it but it seems random.
kokoko3k Aug 10, 2021
Quoting: nightspaladinI stopped using OpenGL and just stuck with ancient but fairly solid XRender.
Sorry pal, but XRender is going to be removed due to the devs focusing on Wayland, support.
In the past i did like you, by using XRender and composition pipeline for vsync.
Anyway, support for opengl is ok; not great on nvidia due to nvidia itself, till the point that instead of disabling the intel igp, i've then setup a prime render offload system, using nvidia just for gaming (yes, sacrifying about 5% performance).
My haswell igp provided snappier desktop than a 1060, really, and i'm not even considering power consumption issues due to nvidia blob.
Then i switched to amd/mesa and never looked back.

Last edited by kokoko3k on 10 August 2021 at 1:12 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.