Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
What are the chances with the steam deck (origin question)
Lofty Oct 14, 2021
Given that you can buy EA games on steam and automatically Link your account in some instances. And given that Proton is mature enough to play most of the kind of games that are on Origin. What are the chances that Valve will work something out for the steam deck where by the Origin launcher is either automatically installed and running silent in the background or there is an official workaround for steam deck devices that doesn't require the whole client but just registers that your using the steamdeck and bypasses this requirement.

Are non technical steam deck users going to have to plug into a monitor and work out how to 'Linux' and get the client installed.
CatKiller Oct 14, 2021
Valve's stance is that developers shouldn't be doing that nonsense at all.

QuoteFor best results, skip separate launchers altogether and integrate their functionality into the game client UI instead, where controller support is likely better.
https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/steamdeck/proton

They also try to mitigate the jank by saying that launchers should be in something like Qt rather than Windows-only stuff, and provide a function in the SDK to plonk the controller into KB/M mode to deal with the launcher, but they really would rather devs didn't give them the headache in the first place.
ridge Oct 22, 2021
I personally recommend using the new EA App instead of Origin to play EA games with Wine, as it's much smoother and fixed my performance issues in Battlefield 4 (I think). Unfortunately the EA App doesn't seem to work with Steam, so I generally advise against buying their games via Steam and just dealing with their launcher on its own. How that will play out on the Deck I have no clue.

Hopefully EA sees reason and swaps Origin with the EA App on their Steam releases as well. If I understand their Trello correctly, they're working on some sort of silent background running to launch games, question mark?

Would be better than having the user pop open the on-screen keyboard and log in to Origin/EA App.

Last edited by ridge on 22 October 2021 at 2:35 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.