Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Minecraft Dungeons black screen with mouse cursor
fergusincoronato Oct 30, 2021
Hi!

I'm on a fairly new (1 year old) gaming laptop with RTX 2060, Ubuntu 20.04 with latest updates, NVIDIA drivers 4.70, latest Steam client, and Proton GE as described in the latest GOL article about Minecraft Dungeons (https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2021/09/minecraft-dungeons-arrives-on-steam-and-works-well-on-linux-with-proton-ge).

Unfortunately all I get is a the mouse pointer to change appearance (I guess it is Minecraft Dungeons cursor) and a black screen. The screen stays black for a minute or two, then the game crashes.

Is there any additional step that I missed or that you would recommend?

I thought I might miss some dependency however I have all of those required (as per Lutris wiki) to run other games like Overwatch, WoW and Diablo 3 smoothly.

Just out of curiosity I tried also with previous versions of Proton and with 5.13 I get as far as the choosing language screen, then after clicking on Continue the screen gets black and after a couple of minutes it crashes.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance!
whizse Oct 30, 2021
fergusincoronato Oct 31, 2021
I tried both:
1) launching the game with "__NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1 __VK_LAYER_NV_optimus=NVIDIA_only %command%"
and
2) disabling /usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/intel_icd.x86_64.json and /usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/intel_icd.i686.json
but neither seems to work unfortunately.
Liam Dawe Nov 1, 2021
Hmm, well it loads up here with NVIDIA normally still, although the XBL login system is acting a bit weird.

I assume your issues are still due to the Optimus GPU.
fergusincoronato Nov 10, 2021
Quoting: Liam DaweHmm, well it loads up here with NVIDIA normally still, although the XBL login system is acting a bit weird.

I assume your issues are still due to the Optimus GPU.

Do you know if it is possible to fix it?

I have been trying to google for a solution for a vouple of weeks now but I couldn't find any workaround. : (

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks.
fergusincoronato Dec 22, 2021
Update: I don't know how but it now works flawlessly with Proton Experimental
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.