Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Do you read Phoronix?
Page: «4/5»
  Go to:
Poll results: Do you read Phoronix?
Yes

34 vote(s)
58%
No

25 vote(s)
42%
damarrin Nov 17, 2021
macOS is also free, so that doesn’t hold water ;-)

Arguably, Apple’s products cost what a product should, considering you’re not subsidising it with info about your life and/or other companies are not subsidising it with their preinstalled shovelware. I have a love/hate relationship with Apple, like I said, some stuff they make is awesome, other things they do less so.

Apple’s main win is sidestepping completely the downward spiral of cutthroat pricing and shrinking margins of PC hardware vendors. Their commitment to privacy is another. Whether they actually are committed to it is another matter, ofc and unverifiable at this point.
scaine Nov 17, 2021
Quoting: damarrinmacOS is also free, so that doesn’t hold water ;-)

No, it really isn't.
damarrin Nov 17, 2021
They ask money for it now? I really haven’t been keeping up with the times.
scaine Nov 17, 2021
Quoting: damarrinThey ask money for it now? I really haven’t been keeping up with the times.

They used to. I think recent upgrades are now free of charge once you're in the Apple jail - is that what you're referring to? My point is that you can only buy or indeed use OSX by paying for overpriced Apple hardware. You're also accepting terms that you'll never use it on non-Apple hardware, so you definitely can't suggest that is is, in any sense of the word, "free".
damarrin Nov 17, 2021
Technicalities. You need hardware to run any os, whether cheap or expensive is irrelevant.

Anyway, all this is really off topic.

Phoronix, eh? Hate it or not, PTS is very useful and his benchmarks have uncovered numerous regressions in Linux over the years. It’s some excellent work he does.
slaapliedje Nov 17, 2021
Quoting: scaine
Quoting: damarrinmacOS is also free, so that doesn’t hold water ;-)

No, it really isn't.
Ha, you pay for it by using Finder and realizing how trash it is. Watched a video recently about a Windows guy attempting to convert to MacOS, and right off the bat he points out that the transferring of files with Finder won't show the actual transfer speed.

Sure there is an application you can purchase that'll show it up by the clock... Which is where you pay for macOS. The OS comes bundled with the hardware, as mirv stated. But you also have to pay for it because almost every little thing that we're used to getting for free, in fact included standard with most distributions, costs money on the mac.

Hell, when I first got my current job, they handed me a mac. It was the first one I'd actually used more than just 'ooh, pretty animation on the minimize' and then I bought Flavours for it (a theming program, yes you have to pay for themes). Well a few releases later they broke theming. It's just not working anymore. The author of the software had said he was going to make a Flavours2, but it never was released as Apple just doesn't want themes.

Was there a huge uproar like there is with Gnome saying they're going to create a library for the look / feel? Nope, because Daddy Apple knows best! Let me have my Brushed Metal, Daddy Apple!
slaapliedje Nov 17, 2021
Quoting: Guest
Quoting: slaapliedjeBordering on the terrible idiots who post to Apple forums.

There are forums dedicated to apples? How can people be upset discussing Granny Smith vs Braeburn? Or maybe they're just discussing their orchards. Possibly how to make the best apple juice or cider.
I'd kill for a Granny Smith right now!
slaapliedje Nov 17, 2021
Quoting: wvstolzing
Quoting: slaapliedje
Quoting: CatKiller
Quoting: scaineAnd yeah, Phoronix comments tend to be even more techy than Larabel himself, which isn't very helpful, nor welcoming.
It's not that they're techy - I like techy - it's that they're the wonderful combination of toxic & clueless.
There are a lot of major trolls there. Like you look at the KDE discussion on this site... pretty calm and useful conversation, and actually discussing the issues with desktop environments. Compare that to the Phoronix forums where it's very fanboy-ish. Bordering on the terrible idiots who post to Apple forums.

The Apple idiots are often funny in their innocence; & I don't recall people being mean to one another on places like macrumors. Linux trolls are a sadistic bunch in comparison.
Ha, I have only read a few of the Apple comments at various places due to ordering an m1 max a while back (still waiting for it to show up). The complaints that it's a tiny bit heavier and a tiny bit larger stated as if it were the end of the world. And that they ditched ONE port in favor of magsafe, sd card reader, and HDMI port... it's just silly. I'm hoping to dual boot it eventually. But being the first time actually buying an Apple product... they're a little weird, and yes I'd go so far as to say cultish.
Liam Dawe Nov 17, 2021
Must admit my surprise by the results so far, guess it's a good idea that I do cover some of the techie stuff and simplify it with a few explainers huh.
Liam Dawe Nov 17, 2021
Quoting: Guest
Quoting: Liam DaweMust admit my surprise by the results so far, guess it's a good idea that I do cover some of the techie stuff and simplify it with a few explainers huh.

This is appreciated, along with the ever so simple link to a source which people who are interested in more details can follow. I know that should be online reporting 101, but not everywhere does it, so it's yet another little detail that keeps the quality of GOL higher than most.
Honestly, it bugs me to no end every time I read a big "PC" or other gaming site, when the game name links to a previous article, and there's no plain store link to get where I want to go from their info. It's a small thing to have to load a tab, go to a store, put the name in and then get it but still...it's the little things that make up life. At least if I ever link to a previous article, there's always a plain store link too.

Last edited by Liam Dawe on 17 November 2021 at 4:11 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.