Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Do you read Phoronix?
Page: «5/5
  Go to:
Poll results: Do you read Phoronix?
Yes

34 vote(s)
58%
No

25 vote(s)
42%
rcrit Nov 17, 2021
I'll add a third choice: Yes, but only when I'm really bored.
slaapliedje Nov 17, 2021
Quoting: Liam Dawe
Quoting: Guest
Quoting: Liam DaweMust admit my surprise by the results so far, guess it's a good idea that I do cover some of the techie stuff and simplify it with a few explainers huh.

This is appreciated, along with the ever so simple link to a source which people who are interested in more details can follow. I know that should be online reporting 101, but not everywhere does it, so it's yet another little detail that keeps the quality of GOL higher than most.
Honestly, it bugs me to no end every time I read a big "PC" or other gaming site, when the game name links to a previous article, and there's no plain store link to get where I want to go from their info. It's a small thing to have to load a tab, go to a store, put the name in and then get it but still...it's the little things that make up life. At least if I ever link to a previous article, there's always a plain store link too.
I mean the main reason I look at Phoronix is it seems to cover the kernel updates pretty well. Also their benchmarks are great. The three main sites I usually visit in a day is this one, OSNews (though mostly out of habit at this point) and Phoronix. Usually I see the articles about things either here or phoronix first, and then OSnews. Though OSNews is good for non-Linux stuff occasionally as well. Then again I also hang out in Atari / Amiga forums :P
CatKiller Nov 17, 2021
Quoting: slaapliedje
Quoting: slaapliedjeBordering on the terrible idiots who post to Apple forums.

There are forums dedicated to apples? How can people be upset discussing Granny Smith vs Braeburn? Or maybe they're just discussing their orchards. Possibly how to make the best apple juice or cider.
I'd kill for a Granny Smith right now!
I'm more of a Pink Lady girl, myself.
wvstolzing Nov 17, 2021
I used to buy McIntoshes all the time in the US; but they just aren't available where I live now. I also like the small type of Fuji apples, & granny smiths.
Vulphere Nov 18, 2021
I read Phoronix at least once a week, and I prefer LWN for more in-depth kernel development news
eldaking Nov 18, 2021
Quoting: Liam Dawe
Quoting: Liam DaweMust admit my surprise by the results so far, guess it's a good idea that I do cover some of the techie stuff and simplify it with a few explainers huh.

This is appreciated, along with the ever so simple link to a source which people who are interested in more details can follow. I know that should be online reporting 101, but not everywhere does it, so it's yet another little detail that keeps the quality of GOL higher than most.
Honestly, it bugs me to no end every time I read a big "PC" or other gaming site, when the game name links to a previous article, and there's no plain store link to get where I want to go from their info. It's a small thing to have to load a tab, go to a store, put the name in and then get it but still...it's the little things that make up life. At least if I ever link to a previous article, there's always a plain store link too.

Yes, it bothers me so much too! If I click on the name of the game I want a link to the game itself (official webpage). Stop trying to trap me in your ad network stupid webpages.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.