Feedback wanted - the livestreamers sidebar
Poll results: Do you use the livestreams sidebar?
No

15 vote(s)
63%
Yes

9 vote(s)
38%
Liam Dawe Nov 15, 2021
Hi all, looking for some feedback.

On the GOL homepage we have the livestreamer sidebar, which a few people put their livestreams in. Overall though, only around 5 people ever actually note their livestreams (it's mostly like 2 people...) in it so I am considering dropping it.

Before I decide, I would like to see how many people actually like it.

Thank you.

Last edited by Liam Dawe on 15 November 2021 at 8:07 pm UTC
PublicNuisance Nov 16, 2021
I won't lie, I had never seen it before you mentioned it right now. I don't watch livestreams so I doubt i'll use it after being told about it.
Xpander Nov 16, 2021
I don't think i ever used it, but then again i don't watch livestreams much anyway.
The only times i watch some livestreams are when theres something huge for linux to be showcased and i happen to have free time at that time and then i usually find the livestream from discord or twitter.
Liam Dawe Nov 16, 2021
Quoting: GuestBTW, when will the official GamingOnLinux Twitch Account see a comeback?
It's already back, we've done two livestreams in the last week :)
eldaking Nov 16, 2021
I very rarely watch any (live) streaming, because things have to align just right for me to catch a stream at a time when I can and want to watch, and my ISP is a bit unreliable so it often gets laggy and stuttery for me (because it can't buffer as much as for non-live video). So it's not really a surprise that I don't use it.

I find the concept interesting - I see the section and often think "this looks neat, maybe I could watch it if things work out", but then it never worked out? The few times I caught Samsai streaming, for example, was through Mastodon (because I browse there more often, while here I just come a few times to read a few articles). Having a place that aggregates streamers is potentially cool, but I don't know what would make it more useful.
Valck Nov 16, 2021
I haven't used the sidebar, and frankly would be glad to see it go, instead of it periodically polling to see whether there's a new stream up already. I may be a dinosaur, but I want to load a web page once, and be done – none of that dynamic web stuff for me, thank you.

I don't watch livestreams when they are "live", and replays only if they promise to contain information that isn't available elsewhere – a promise unkept more often than not.
As such, I only come across "live" stream recordings if I explicitly do a search for some topic, and avoid even those if at all possible.
Liam Dawe Nov 16, 2021
Quoting: ValckI haven't used the sidebar, and frankly would be glad to see it go, instead of it periodically polling to see whether there's a new stream up already. I may be a dinosaur, but I want to load a web page once, and be done – none of that dynamic web stuff for me, thank you.
It doesn't do that, people add their streams manually to our DB.

The only period polling is for our own stream, which displays somewhere else.
Valck Nov 16, 2021
Quoting: Liam Dawe
Quoting: ValckI haven't used the sidebar, and frankly would be glad to see it go, instead of it periodically polling to see whether there's a new stream up already. I may be a dinosaur, but I want to load a web page once, and be done – none of that dynamic web stuff for me, thank you.
It doesn't do that, people add their streams manually to our DB.

The only period polling is for our own stream, which displays somewhere else.
That's fine then, thank you for the clarification.
Still wouldn't mind if it disappeared, but don't care too much either way ;)
Liam Dawe Apr 16, 2022
Hi all, as an update on this, I've made the decision today that the livestream sidebar is going to be retired.

Same reasoning as originally: hardly anyone actually used it, and I would prefer to have space for things that would just make more sense now and be more used.

If you're on Twitch, remember they have a "Linux" tag now which is a far better way to find people there.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.