You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
So will the Steam Deck / SteamOS 3 support the Steam Controller?
Craggles086 Dec 2, 2021
So I am hoping that the Steam Deck / Steam OS 3.0 has native support for the Steam Controller. Bit of a missed opportunity that one, and I know it is a bit late to be bringing this up.

But no other game pad is going to come close to what the Steam Deck controls can do then the Steam Controller and if games will be supporting the Steam Deck controls then that should be native support for the Steam Controller.

Huge opportunity once people see what the Steam Deck controls can do, and how else will you play your games when the Steam Deck is docked.

Time to release Steam Controller 2.
This topic has an answer marked - jump to answer.
Liam Dawe Dec 2, 2021
Yes it will. It's been supported directly by Linux as a device since it was release, SDL supports it and Steam Input does too, they don't remove support for controllers.
damarrin Dec 2, 2021
When it's docked you play MK games with MK.

Or controller games with a controller.

OFC the Steam Controller will be supported. It can only do everything a regular controller can except a d-pad and a right analogue stick.
Zlopez Dec 2, 2021
  • Supporter Plus
Quoting: Liam DaweYes it will. It's been supported directly by Linux as a device since it was release, SDL supports it and Steam Input does too, they don't remove support for controllers.

Hm, I wouldn't be that sure. If they want to distribute SteamOS 3 as immutable system (using ostree images) and Steam as flatpak on top of that (which is the best option in my mind), there are still ongoing issues with udev rules in flatpak and the Steam Controller doesn't work out of the box on flatpak version of Steam (you need to add udev rules manually, same for VR). This doesn't bother me on PC, I don't have the Steam Controller anyway, but I can assume this could be the issue for some.

But I hope Valve will solve this before launch anyway.
Liam Dawe Dec 2, 2021
Quoting: ZlopezHm, I wouldn't be that sure. If they want to distribute SteamOS 3 as immutable system (using ostree images) and Steam as flatpak on top of that (which is the best option in my mind), there are still ongoing issues with udev rules in flatpak and the Steam Controller doesn't work out of the box on flatpak version of Steam (you need to add udev rules manually, same for VR). This doesn't bother me on PC, I don't have the Steam Controller anyway, but I can assume this could be the issue for some.
As far as I am aware, Steam is not being used as a Flatpak on it, otherwise it would be an issue for all controllers with Steam Input. Valve already have their own packaging system for Steam, with it just being a downloader for the rest of it - they don't need Flatpak for it on their own controlled system.
Zlopez Dec 2, 2021
  • Supporter Plus
Quoting: Liam Dawe
Quoting: ZlopezHm, I wouldn't be that sure. If they want to distribute SteamOS 3 as immutable system (using ostree images) and Steam as flatpak on top of that (which is the best option in my mind), there are still ongoing issues with udev rules in flatpak and the Steam Controller doesn't work out of the box on flatpak version of Steam (you need to add udev rules manually, same for VR). This doesn't bother me on PC, I don't have the Steam Controller anyway, but I can assume this could be the issue for some.
As far as I am aware, Steam is not being used as a Flatpak on it, otherwise it would be an issue for all controllers with Steam Input. Valve already have their own packaging system for Steam, with it just being a downloader for the rest of it - they don't need Flatpak for it on their own controlled system.

We will see, maybe this will be part of base ostree image. Otherwise it will be really nice for flatpak to solve this. :-)
denyasis Dec 3, 2021
Yeah, I don't see Steam as being separate from the image. They'd want thier product to be as tightly integrated as possible. And besides, if it were separate, it might be too easy to remove and Valve might not like that.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.