You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
After 12 years, InterAction studios decided to discontinue all games for Linux
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
GustyGhost Dec 7, 2021
Quoting: PublicNuisanceI had never heard of these games before but this just reinforces my option to try to spend the majority of my gaming money on FOSS games instead. They don't drop Linux Support or make me beg for Linux support nearly a smuch as closed source developers do.

I gave up on proprietary games a long time ago. It's just so much easier knowing that games will work, probably run like a rocket and generally available in package repos.
gbudny Dec 7, 2021
Quoting: GustyGhostI gave up on proprietary games a long time ago. It's just so much easier knowing that games will work, probably run like a rocket and generally available in package repos.

Well, I keep an old PC with Linux 2.4 for two games for Linux: Medal of Honor Beta 3 and Inner worlds from 1996. Sometimes, I run older games on PCLinuxOS from 2010 that give me some time to sort out issues with a specific game on the current version of Ubuntu.

Of course, InterAction studios were regularly updating their games for Linux, which most companies don't decide to do. You can run their games for Linux released 12 years ago.

Probably? The availability of a source code is one of many factors that decide if an application will be regularly updated for a specific platform.

What with games that were removed from the repo?

What with all games from SourceForge?

For instance, I had to wait years when someone updated Slune for Linux, and I can mention my favorite open-source game: The Hunted Chronicle 2 (a mod for Darkplaces). It looks much better than a majority of open source games, and I had to use the 32-bit version to run it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V08FujZzSdE

Last edited by gbudny on 7 December 2021 at 3:56 pm UTC
gbudny Dec 8, 2021
I forgot to add this news from their website:

QuoteAll Linux games have been discontinued 2021-11-08

After much deliberation, and with a heavy heart, we have discontinued all Linux games due to insufficient market interest and increasing maintenance costs.

You can still download their final released versions, but as of November 2021 they are unsupported and will no longer be updated.

If you are using Steam, don't forget that you can still enjoy the games using Proton!

They had been updating all their games for Linux for 12 years.

Quote2021-11-09

All games on this website for Windows and Mac (demo and full) have been updated to their latest versions.

The updates for Mac ensure compatibility with macOS 12 Monterey, and also fix a sound issue (namely, no sound at all) under certain circumstances.

As a reminder, Linux games have been recently discontinued and hence are not included in this update.

https://www.interactionstudios.com/news.php

Last edited by gbudny on 8 December 2021 at 4:54 pm UTC
robbyhurtss Dec 28, 2021
To be honest, I have been using Windows on my computer for a long time. It is really inconvenient when there is no support for the game on all platforms. It's just that I have Linux installed on my laptop. I think that many playgrounds should be like https://oddsdigger.com/at/water-polo. Really there is full support for all platforms

Last edited by robbyhurtss on 21 January 2022 at 2:59 pm UTC
gbudny Dec 29, 2021
I noticed all their chicken invaders games are available on Steam for Windows and Mac:

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/1759/Chicken_Invaders_Complete_Set/

I have no idea if the Linux versions were available on Steam.

I try with different versions of Chicken Invaders for Linux, and I have more fun playing it than with Jets'n'Guns

I have to admit that I don't care about games for Windows. For instance, I remember that I bought only games for Linux and Mac when My game company was closed.

Similarly, I didn't download the Windows versions of games when Desura was closed.

Last edited by gbudny on 30 December 2021 at 12:22 am UTC
gbudny Jan 4, 2022
I have to correct something because I forgot to mention that Chicken Invaders: Ultimate Omelette (Thanksgiving Edition) is also available for Linux. Below is the list of games for Linux that were discontinued:

Chicken Invaders: Cluck of the Dark Side (Halloween Edition)
Chicken Invaders: Cluck of the Dark Side (Christmas Edition)
Chicken Invaders: Cluck of the Dark Side
Chicken Invaders: Ultimate Omelette
Chicken Invaders: Ultimate Omelette (Thanksgiving Edition)
Chicken Invaders: Ultimate Omelette (Christmas Edition)
Chicken Invaders: Ultimate Omelette (Easter Edition)
Chicken Invaders: Revenge of the Yolk
Chicken Invaders: Revenge of the Yolk (Christmas Edition)
Chicken Invaders: Revenge of the Yolk (Easter Edition)
Chicken Invaders: The Next Wave
Chicken Invaders: The Next Wave (Christmas Edition)
Christmas Eve Crisis

InterAction studios had ported all editions of the Chicken Invaders series to Linux.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.