Need help understanding the Wine AMD FSR hack
Avehicle7887 Dec 7, 2021
Has anyone tried FSR and has experience how it works? I could use some guidance

The story: I have a lower end PC attached to a 1440p monitor, the GPU can't handle the native resolution.

I can confirm the feature is enabled in my Wine setup (WINE_FULLSCREEN_FSR=1) however it only makes an effect if the game is running at 1280x720 (720p) and desktop is set to 2560x1440. Has no effect if I set the game at any other resolution.

Is this normal or am I missing something?

Last edited by Avehicle7887 on 7 December 2021 at 9:50 pm UTC
Xpander Dec 7, 2021
Might be specific game issue? maybe game is doing scaling by itself?

it should work for every resolution lower than your monitor native. Obviously the higher(closer to monitor native) the resolution the less performance is to be gained.
Avehicle7887 Dec 7, 2021
So I did some research and have tried setting the games at the resolutions as per this chart: https://www.androidauthority.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/AMD-FSR-quality-and-scaling-details.jpg

FSR now works on all the resolutions tested (I never tried these resolutions before so most likely that was an oopsie on my end). The last remaining issue now is that only 1280x720 scales to my entire screen. The other resolutions look like this:

Any leads?

EDIT: Turns out the borders were being caused by "WINE_FULLSCREEN_INTEGER_SCALING=1", it needs to be a "0" :)

Well this was fun

Last edited by Avehicle7887 on 7 December 2021 at 11:59 pm UTC
ziabice Dec 8, 2021
I'm in your exact situation, but I'm using Proton. How can I use FSR?

EDIT: I digged a bit more, seems that I must use Proton GE

Last edited by ziabice on 8 December 2021 at 1:43 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.