Humble subscription service is dumping Linux and Mac
gbudny Jan 18, 2022
Hi

I think that we don't have too much time...

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/01/humble-subscription-service-is-dumping-mac-linux-access-in-18-days/

It's annoying that Valve cares more about Proton than the availability of games that have a version for Linux.

I must admit that IGN chose a perfect moment to drop support for Linux. I expect that new Steam Deck users will be disappointed if they want to run a game for Linux that was available only in the Humble Indie Bundle store.
BlackBloodRum Jan 18, 2022
Tbh, I don't think this will affect the Steam Deck much, I mean let's face it. Your average (non-tech) consumer will use the steam store to purchase games directly using a deck and probably won't want to mess about manually setting things up to install some drm free game.

I mean, if they're already willing to buy a device from the steam store that's then basically "dedicated" to the steam store, I'm sure they are more than happy to buy their games via that same store once they receive their device.

But of course, more technically inclined people who would love to tweak and install other stuff will without a doubt find other sources of games for that, so again humbles decision will probably make little to no difference.

That's just my opinion though.
PublicNuisance Jan 18, 2022
I actually can't remember when I last used Humble. I use GOG and Itch.io as my go to stores.
gbudny Jan 19, 2022
Thank you for sharing your opinions.

We have some time when we lose access to some of the games for Linux available only in the Humble Store.

I noticed that Shadowgrounds and Shadowgrounds Survivor are available only in the Humble store. Frozenbyte released a source code for these games, but I noticed that users have some issues with them. In this case, using a Windows/Mac version is a terrible idea.

I have digital and boxed versions of these games, but new users have to build them from a source code.

In 2009, I remember that I rented these two games from Tux Games when I waited for a delivery of boxed versions from a local reseller.

Bean's Quest is another example of a classic indie game. I think that company still exists, but you can't buy it anywhere else:

http://www.kumobius.com/beansquest/

Do you know other games?

Last edited by gbudny on 19 January 2022 at 12:47 am UTC
Liam Dawe Jan 19, 2022
This is something I covered in an article. It seems that the main part of Humble Choice will still be web-based to claim your keys. Only the Trove (being rename Vault) and their *new* curated collection require the launcher.
gbudny Jan 20, 2022
Quoting: Liam DaweThis is something I covered in an article. It seems that the main part of Humble Choice will still be web-based to claim your keys. Only the Trove (being rename Vault) and their *new* curated collection require the launcher.

Thank you for the article.

I hope so.

However, this is a part of the article when I'm worried about it.

"Those subscribers have until January 31 to use the existing website interface to download DRM-free copies of any games' Mac or Linux versions. Starting February 1, subscription-specific downloads will be taken off the site, and Mac and Linux versions in particular will disappear altogether."

Access to keys is great, but I have few really old operating systems. I use them to play old games for Linux and rarely Mac. Dealing with old web browsers and unsupported versions of Steam would be a nightmare for me.

Last edited by gbudny on 20 January 2022 at 9:32 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.