ElamanOpiskelija Jan 25, 2022
Fixed: Wrong USB-C cable

My System Info

Linux Distribution: Ubuntu 21.10
Desktop Environment: Gnome
Have you checked for system updates?: Yes
Motherboard: ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX

You can note your issue below here

Long story short, the controller is not 100% reliable over Bluetooth. Sometimes there is a delay, sometimes it gets stuck on certain direction.

This problem was worse on Arch-based distros for some reason (Garuda, Endeavour). Ubuntu 21 seems to be the best distro so far to use with DualSense. Meaning that controller works for 100% of games and is reliable 90% of the time. It probably has to do with the Bluetooth drivers.

Anyway, every now and then, even if it's 10% of the time, I get a longer delay than usual on a particularly important moment, and I lose the game. Not to mention if/when the character decides to walk in a certain direction all the way to his/her death.

- I have not been able to use DualSense controller wired. Lsusb doesn't really show anything on any distro.
- I could even consider getting a wired controller if this one can't be used wired.

Last edited by ElamanOpiskelija on 27 January 2022 at 4:49 pm UTC
damarrin Jan 25, 2022
What’s your bluetooth adapter? Have you tried a different one?
ElamanOpiskelija Jan 27, 2022
OK after looking at the adapter I went into more detail and checked dmesg, realized that nothing happens when I plug in the controller.
I thought this was really basic. Tried with another cable (the one from my mobile phone) and then everything works.

Steam achievements, here I go again.
whizse Jan 27, 2022
Don't know if this is the same as your problem since you have different results depending on distro (kernel version?) but with the DS4 I noticed that line of sight to the Bluetooth adapter was crucial.

I had to be careful with where I placed it or I ended up with the same annoying drop outs, very seldom, but always at a crucial moment.
ElamanOpiskelija Jan 28, 2022
Quoting: whizseDon't know if this is the same as your problem since you have different results depending on distro (kernel version?) but with the DS4 I noticed that line of sight to the Bluetooth adapter was crucial.

I had to be careful with where I placed it or I ended up with the same annoying drop outs, very seldom, but always at a crucial moment.

There might be something related to a timely kernel update which caught me in the middle of distro-hopping.
Hollow Knight was pretty much unplayable on Garuda Linux / SalientOS while suddently it played rather smooth on Fedora/Ubuntu (native version in all cases).
But at the end of the day, still some misses here and there. And why scratch my head if I have the powerful, almighty cable.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.