Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
I'm asking open source games to publish on Steam, here are the results
Jpxe Jan 27, 2022
With the Steam Deck soon arriving and several classic open source games available on Steam I wanted to check the status of the games that are still not available, see if they are willing to publish on Steam and offer some help if possible. Here are the results.

Games I have asked and their response:
  • Veloren - seems like they will consider it when the game is more finished.

• SuperTuxKart - not a priority at the moment.

• C-Dogs SDL - cxong has considered it and want to do it, it will take some time and effort to get it ready.

• Xonotic - there's a two years old git issue and an old blog post talking about it, it doesn't seem positive but I've asked again and I'm waiting for a response. Update: "This is definitely something that has to be discussed by the team to reach a consensus."

• Flare - they have considered putting Flare on Steam, but are hesitant about the community.

I'll update this post when I have asked more projects, let me know who else I should ask.

Edit 2022-01-27: updated with responses from Xonotic and Flare.

Last edited by Jpxe on 27 January 2022 at 7:56 pm UTC
CatKiller Jan 27, 2022
Quoting: GuestOpen source games are probably slightly more appealing to the crowd that doesn't use Steam, so the focus is naturally going to lend itself more towards being in distro package repos first, after which there's little incentive to release on Steam anyway.
Windows gamers do exist, and there are actually quite a lot of them. Giving those users more exposure to open source software will help them use open source software more.
PublicNuisance Jan 27, 2022
Publishing to Steam costs money. Most open source projects have little of that as it is. If a project decides to waste what little resources that they have publishing on Steam I for one would stop backing them.

Last edited by PublicNuisance on 27 January 2022 at 4:51 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.