Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Ubisoft Connect searching for updates forever
mylka Jan 28, 2022
I run a fully updated Manjaro and play AC Odyssey lately. It worked very well, but now Connect comes up and says "searching for updated", but it never ends.
does anyone else have this issue?

It worked with Proton 6.3-8 and i tried the Bleeding Edge.

Edit: I deleted the cache folder
https://www.ubisoft.com/en-gb/help/connectivity-and-performance/article/emptying-the-cache-of-ubisoft-connect-pc/000061966

Did not work.

Last edited by mylka on 28 January 2022 at 1:30 pm UTC
rojimboo Jan 28, 2022
Hi man! Someone on Reddit had the same problem, so here's my reply to that guy:

"I had this issue, but I'm not sure how I fixed it :)

If you read the Lutris pages here

https://lutris.net/games/ubisoft-connect/

you could try installing the packages they mention (lib32-gnutls and gnutls-bin).

If that doesn't work, I switched my prefix from a Lutris made one to one I made manually for Steam games (don't ask me why I ran Steam through Wine haha). This meant that the only runtime libraries that were installed were through the client, not through winetricks.

You could try making a basic wineprefix for Uplay (or Ubisoft Connect as it now is), without installing dx9 and others, just with DXVK. Then see if you get in. If you do, installing a game will also install all necessary runtime libraries hopefully, like DX, .net, VC. Then you're golden!"
mylka Jan 29, 2022
lib32-gnutls is installed
cant find gnutls-bin

the last big OS update was on the 25th. last time i played was 26th

since then there were these updates

pamac-gtk (10.3.0-3 -> 10.3.0-4)
pamac-cli (10.3.0-3 -> 10.3.0-4)
pamac-gtk (10.3.0-2 -> 10.3.0-3)
pamac-cli (10.3.0-2 -> 10.3.0-3)
libpamac-snap-plugin (11.2.0-3 -> 11.2.0-4)
libpamac-flatpak-plugin (11.2.0-3 -> 11.2.0-4)
libpamac (11.2.0-3 -> 11.2.0-4)
polkit (0.120-3 -> 0.120-4)

could one of these be the reason? seems like they are just for the package managers

Last edited by mylka on 29 January 2022 at 3:17 am UTC
rojimboo Jan 29, 2022
Ok, so at some point my Ubisoft Connect stopped working and I had the infinite "Looking for patches" issue. Maybe Ubi changed something?

I have now solved it with the following troubleshooting steps scrounged from the web and experimentation, but I have not figured out exactly if all these steps need to be done or a simple re-installation did the trick :)

1. Install the wine DLL component 'crypt32' using winetricks and set it to 'Built-in' with winecfg
- this did not work alone

2. Rename the 'cache' Ubisoft Connect folder or delete it.
- this did not work by itself

3. Install lib32-gnutls
- this used to work, but no longer

4. Reinstall Ubisoft Connect after downloading the installer from their website.
- this worked! possibly in conjuction with the above steps

So now I'm online with Ubisoft Connect and my games work online too.

Note! This is geared for normal Wine installations, but I think the process is similar for Proton (point to Proton prefix, use protontricks, use winecfg from your applicable Proton version, and so on).
mylka Jan 29, 2022
i am using steam btw. i do not know how to reinstall connect. steam does it on its own
can i just delete the connect folder and verify the game files? it should redownload it i guess?

damn, i hate 3rd party launchers.....
mylka Jan 29, 2022
ok nevermind. fixed it

i renamed this folder
Steam/steamapps/compatdata/812140/pfx/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Ubisoft/

tried to verify game files, but steam did nothing for 1 hour.

i just hit launch and steam installed connect. connect launches, but not the game. so i closed connect and hit launch again. now it works just fine

Last edited by mylka on 29 January 2022 at 3:41 pm UTC
rojimboo Jan 29, 2022
Quoting: mylkai just hit launch and steam installed connect. connect launches, but not the game. so i closed connect and hit launch again. now it works just fine

Hah, the murky waters of double DRM and multiple clients :) Add Proton/Wine to the mix and you got yourself a well mixed cocktail of confusion.

Glad you got it working! No idea why/how though.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.