Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
DOOM 2016
Retro-Geek Mar 23, 2022
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm having issues with DOOM 2016 running on Ubuntu.

My gaming rig, runs Windows 10 Pro, and Ubuntu 20.04 on separate HHD powered caddies. I can switch between the two and utilise one machine and it's Intel I7 and Radeon 7700 GPU...

DOOM runs sweet on the Windows drive via Steam. But awful on Linux. I watched some old videos on this subject, and done as they did, switching from OpenGL to Vulkan, which caused the game the later crash on start up in Steam.
I've had to uninstall the game, as I couldn't get back into the game to the settings menu to switch back from Vulcan.

Thank you upfront 👍
whizse Mar 23, 2022
For switching between Vulkan and OpenGL you can use a launch parameter. Right click on the game -> Properties -> General -> Launch options (bottom field).

Set it to "%command% +r_renderAPI 1" for Vulkan, or "%command% +r_renderAPI 0" for OpenGL.

(A more general tip is to find the game config files and just delete them instead of reinstalling!)
whizse Mar 23, 2022
The crash with Vulkan is a bit harder to diagnose without error messages.

One common problem in the past was that Doom sometimes picked the wrong GPU. I.e. tried to run on the integrated Intel GPU.
Retro-Geek Mar 23, 2022
Hi Whizse

Thanks for the comments.

I did see this option you commented on. But couldn't get that far, as I tried adjusting PlayOn Linux but that keeps coming up with " Running into errors".

Please forgive my ignorance, I'm a MX Linux user, I never touch Ubuntu usually. I just wanted to give a mainstream OS a go for my build. I did try POP OS out first, and loved it, until the latest update, I lost all sound output, and got fed up trying to figure it out.

But, when you say right click for properties, is that in Ubuntu, or Steam?

As, I'm sure you're aware, Ubuntu has very little in the way of options when you right click on app icon.

Thank you
whizse Mar 23, 2022
Hi,

Right, those options are for the Steam client.

You can also change the renderer between Vulkan and OpenGL in the configuration file. It's a little bit fiddly to find since those are hidden in the Wine prefix named after the Steam app id.

There are instructions to find the configuration path, the options to change and so forth on PCGamingWiki. I also noticed a comment there to turn off the Steam Overlay when running the game with Vulkan, might be worth a try.
Retro-Geek Mar 25, 2022
Thanks Whize

I'll try and get my head around it sometime the weekend.

Thanks for your help 👍
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.